The window canopy on a budget

Rosemary’s bedroom is on the south western side of our bungalow and therefore gets very hot in the summer sun, but as she also likes to have the window well open at night for ventilation it is also vulnerable to the weather generally, and therefore rain can drive into the open window when chased by the wind.

To help alleviate these problems then to an extent, I decided to build a canopy over the window to give both shade in the summer and a level of rain protection during a shower.

I had a look around the workshop and thought I may have enough odds and ends left over from other projects to do the job, and so it transpired that the canopy was built at no cost which was quite satisfying.

First thing I needed was timber for the gallows brackets, which I managed to cut out of two offcuts of garden sleepers left over from the garden room foundations. Here are the brackets fixed to the wall as supports for the roof structure.

The next step was to place a wall plate to the window head to support the rafters, which I made out of a piece of spare decking, here it is fixed in place…

I then found a piece of 4x2 to form the front support beam, which will also serve as a fascia and I also found some short offcuts of 6x2 which I ripped down with my circular saw to make enough 3x2s to form the rafters…

To finish it off I made the roof out of some treated shiplap boarding which I then painted to resemble our roof tiles…

After which a couple of offcuts of the same boarding made the gable ends. Just a splash of touch up paint then and the job was complete, total cost £0.00… :blush:

8 Likes

That looks just the job Barry and at zero cost, the whole project must be very satisfying👍

1 Like

Thanks Driver and yes, there really is a buzz making something out of nothing very much…:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Looks cool. :023:

1 Like

That is very impressive…and free too. Well done and both counts! :+1: How long did it take you to build up, Barry?

Thanks @d00d

Thanks @PixieKnuckles , it took three days overall, but most of that was waiting for the paint to dry in the workshop. I painted it before I put it together just for the fact that it’s easier, but if I hadn’t done that I guess it was a day’s work in total. :blush:

1 Like

Wow - that is brilliant - well done, Barry!

1 Like

Excellent job Barry, well done!

1 Like

Hey Barry, that’s bazzin’! :023:

You must be proper chuffed with that, utilising all those offcuts lying around. Really looks good and solid.

Now, I need something very much like that over my back door… my address is…

1 Like

Many thanks @SilverTabby :blush:

Thanks @Mags , I’m well chuffed with the result… as is Rosemary thank goodness… :wink:

Hey @Pesta now that’s a coincidence, I just happen to have a few bits left over… :smile:

Now that’s what I like to hear :mini: :mrgreen:

1 Like

You’re very clever, Barry! It looks very good.

1 Like

Seriously impressive Barry! That looks great! Thanks for sharing the project!
I love looking at work in progress.

1 Like

Brilliant !

1 Like

You are clever, Barry, it looks smashing.
Wish I could do things like that.

1 Like

Many thanks ladies, it didn’t half get me some brownie points… :smile:

2 Likes

That parsnip and carrot soup with crusty bread should gain you some brownie points :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Great job Barry, well up to your usual standard.

Really good Barry…I love the fact it cost so little too…brilliant! :slight_smile:

I’ve only just seen this. That’s a most excellent professional looking job.

Well done, especially on the price.