The war of the Worlds

I loved it too swims but I am a bit of a sci-fi nut :slight_smile:

Looking forward to the next episode.

I listened to Four Extra’s take on Orson Welles’ classic drama from the 1930s and how it terrified many listeners who thought it was really happening. It apparently was repeated a few times over the following years, every time some of the population in the countries where it was aired panicking. It made unsettling listening - in Ecuador I think, it was aired in 1944 and when people learned it wasn’t factual they stormed the radio offices, set fire to the ground floor and sealed up the doors so people couldn’t escape, they were so incensed at having been duped. Someone phoned the local police for help but as the narrator stated “their offices were empty, they’d all gone out hunting Martians.”

I don’t know if today’s savvy listeners would be so easily conned - or would they? After all, how many folk believe what’s in newspapers?

I quite enjoyed it, not a bad start and I think it will have a bit more action next week. I believe it is only three episodes. I liked the sort of ‘old school’ direction, nice and simple, although I thought a few scenes were quite badly done too.

I will watch again next week.

I’ll give it a go, after all I watched the dreadful film made with the title War Of The Worlds & in the cinema, (what a waste of money that was), which had no bearing on the film at all. Trust the American’s to spoil a good book.

There are some negative reviews:

The War of the Worlds review: A lavish adaptation let down by its need to be socially relevant

The War of the Worlds, episode 1 review: small-scale Martians and women being woke in Woking

The War Of The Worlds on BBC slammed after launch - ‘Give us the original!’

It seems that my expectations were unfulfilled - WoW has turned out to be short on CGI and long on characterisation … :lol:

More “divorce papers” than “death-rays” … :102:

Just a brief mention of his wife who he takes to safety before returning to Horsell Common where the Martians had landed.

Based on those reviews, it seems to be a typical BBC right-on politically correct drama being adapted to modern values and not faithful to the book at all. Will be watching the first episode that I recorded later - will be on the look-out for any LGBQ and ethnic characters factored into the story. Herbert will be spinning in his grave I shouldn’t wonder.

OK - let us know what you think … :slight_smile:

That’s what I thought Judd, she was only in it briefly in the book.

Thank you Mart. OH loved that CD too.

Me too.

Same for me Swim!:slight_smile:

I have never read the book or seen a film version, as science fiction is not something that usually grabs my attention, but last night I felt " what would I have done in that postition?". Things like the dog, or the maid that died or the attitude of the older brother… so I think I will be watching the next episode! :lol:

I tend not to be too critical of television productions when it come to sticking what a story was like in the book. I more judge on whether they are entertaining or not and taken at face value, I thought TWOTW made a good hour’s viewing. Based on the book might be the best way to describe it when it comes to the detail. I’ll watch next week’s episode.

Well, I watched it. It does seem a lot like the book, but that didn’t have the love interest, not sure about adding that, but I will watch the next one.

I watched the first part and IMO it,s a load of rubbish.

I did like the horse she galloped away on though.:lol:

The show was more like a love story with the invasion being incidental to the story. Too many meaningful silences with actors looking intently into the camera, and who in their right mind would spend an eternity looking up at a death machine instead of running like hell out of the way?

The most irritating part was the introduction. Why the hell didn’t they stick to the original “No-one would have believed” etc. instead of adding unnecessary frills?

Not impressed.

I’ll definitely give it a miss then … :!:

Try it for yourself and come to your own conclusions?