The Veggie-Burgers Thread

Do you buy them, make your own, or perhaps make a burger half veggie half something else?

I used to make my own but recently been trying to find something in the shops. We are getting more, erm, adventurous: aubejine, feta, tofu & edamame. These things can be actually quite delish with things like chilli, ginger etc. for added flavour, fresh, use-by end of the week.

Do you have any recommendations. BTW I’m not necessarily looking for your typical burger shape to go in a bun, just a bundle of hot mixed veg to eat on it’s own or with fish/meat.

2 Likes

I tried Linda Mccartney veggie burger once , once was enough

2 Likes

Linda McCartney mozzarella burger is very nice :grin:

1 Like

I, too, have acquired a taste for LM’s veggie burgers (and the veggie bangers) … :+1:

This is now my preferred way make my own burgers. I mash up a tin of lentils, add finely chopped and cooked onion & garlic, blitz some bread crumbs with seasoning and dried herbs - then mix in with minced beef and an egg. Works out at roughly 50:50 meat to the other ingredients. It seems to make a lighter burger and its definitely a little more healthy than just red meat.

2 Likes
1 Like

Not acceptable in my household, but then burgers are something I would pass by when shopping. Now that said, if out & about and I’m feeling in the need of a swift bite, then I’ll pop along to McD’s for a quick cheeseburger to fill the hole. Why that particular establishment? It’s the only one to categorically state that MSG (E621) is never used in any product they sell and my old ticker is hyper sensitive to it.

2 Likes

If you have a Morrisons near you their veggie sausages are great

1 Like

I have Home Bargains, Booths, Aldi and Lidl locally, Morrisons and Sainsbury are a drive away so I only visit them when passing. the next time I’m in Morrisons I shall look out for those sausages … :yum:

I have saved the video of the veggie burger to ‘watch later’ on YouTube and I will actually make it from that.
I think I could make these in bulk and freeze before cooking.
The recipe itself seems labour intensive until you watch the video and then it is obviously clear.
These would last me ages as only I eat them. :+1:

1 Like

I enjoy the Beyond Meat or Moving Mountain burgers …both are good. . In a brioche bun

@notahasbeen :+1: I’ve never actually tried that particular recipe but everything else I’ve tried from that website has been fantastic. :sunglasses:

I like the sound of that, or the idea behind it. :wink:

Enjoy your first veggie burger LD, it’s a nice way to combine different ingredient, hold them together as one. Maybe try 1 beefburger, 1 veggie for a balance meal.

LD saId…
“If out & about and I’m feeling in the need of a swift bite, then I’ll pop along to McD’s for a quick cheeseburger to fill the hole”

What a coincidence, seriously, although I facetiously describe them as, & even ask sometimes for what I call a “kiddy-burger” :innocent: :laughing:

That washed down with a seniors coffee is usually just enough to “keep the worms at bay” :grin:

Not sure how you could successfully bulk cook burgers.

I’d suggest you start by keeping it simple like … sweated onion, grated potato, egg to hold it together, into the oven, cheese on top. Nice.

Who wants boiled potatoes an boiled broccoli with their meat anyway?

Make a burger instead.

I have made burgers, very easy it’s basically a Jamie Oliver recipe

Drain a can of sweetcorn and a can of chickpeas into a processor
flour
Then add whatever
I like fresh parsley & spring onions
Cumin
Season
Then pulse …
Shape into burgers shallow fry

1 Like

The title said…
" These lentil patties are better than meat! Protein rich, easy patties recipe!"

3 Likes

They look a bit wet to me, maybe a little flour would help to firm them up.