The Toms are in

Planted 4 varieties of seeds today in the propagator, Ailsa Craig, Money Maker, Red Alert and Alicante, . . . B+Q are doing a small kit, it’s a small tray with a clear lid with 12 compressed peat discs that swell when water’s added, . . there are 3 packets of seeds included, cucumber, toms, and lettuce, all for £2.98 . . . the tray acts like a mini propagator.

1 Like

Throw the moneymaker away now-it saves time :slight_smile: I`m no fan of Alicante either and I do not grow Ailsa Craig. Red Alert is OK(ish)

But then Im a hopeless Tomaholic`-I grow hundreds of plants a year and try to sell a few.

Im one of those lost souls who grows an endless list of tomato varieties and the word heritage` in a seed catalouge gets me trying them.

For years now I have been ranting on about Moneymaker—it`s reliable,crops well but tastes crap!!!

It’s the first time I’ve seen Ailsa Craig, . . until last year I’ve never grown toms for 30 years so any advice will be greatly appreciated OG. :slight_smile:

Ailasa Craig is OK,not special and the original strain is prone to greenback

I don`t know your climate but all I can say is that if you can grow that awful MM then you can grow better varieties.

First year back just grow what you have-next year is time to go on and grow something worthy of the time put in

Our climate is obviously rather cooler that down south, the site where the lean-to greenhouse will be faces south to get the max light and warmth, . . it’s sheltered and will be about 14 X 3 X 7 foot high, . . . I might plant some cherry types coz they’re sweet and are good in salads.

I’ve given up sewing my own, I now buy in plugs. I just love home grown toms , no one else does so I just have a couple of plants for myself and grow them on when the weather warms up. What sort do you recommend OG? I love a sweet tomato and have always gone for money maker or gardeners delight. Any other variety better?

Ailsa Craig disappointed me when I tried it 2 years ago; never planted Momeymaker as I’ve heard bad things about it. I usually go with Super Marmande or Rutgers (hard to find here). Both do very well for me.

I might plant some cherry types coz they’re sweet and are good in salads.

Nero-for a cherry try Sweet Million* it should do well enough under the conditions you say.

*Sweet one million or other names-its classed as an F1 hybrid but its a long story-it does come true from saved seed

Val-where you live you can grow better things than the awful MM-Gardener`s delight is a good one but try something new??

Black Russian should be OK-it`s got a complex flavour but well worth trying,also try St Pierre,Stupice,-oh i could go on and on.

And a plug for us little folk–some of us sell many varieties,we do it for love and a tiny profit. But you would have to live here I guess:-)

OG, I’d love to try more of the heirloom varieties, but with a tiny backyard plot I stick with the ones I like and that do well in my climate

Thanks for that OG, I think I will try something different. Especially as its only for me .

Ahemm, . . been shopping today and in Lidl’s they have quite a few varieties, . . I chose,

Cherries - Cerise melange,
Cherrytomaat,
Mezla de tomate cherry,
Chico Rosso.

The larger ones - Marmande,
Harzfeuer,

All the above from Lidl’s.

In the Klondyke centre I got - Ferline F1 Hybrid, . . on the packet it says they resistant to blight and verticillium wilts.

I cheated a bit by getting a seedling in a pot at 95p, this was Ailsa Craig.

I’ve priced acrylic corrugated sheeting for the lean-to and it’s a bit expensive but it’s better and safer than glass with 4 rotties running amok like they do. :wink:

I was in Lidls yesterday but never saw any, it was a quick visit though, I won’t be going again for awhile.Not to keen on the cherries or the very large toms, I forget what they’re called. The cherries taste nice but I got to many for myself and everyone round here grows toms so couldn’t even give them away.Are the large ones called beefcake or something? Mine grew to such a weird shape, probably not enough water.:lol:

Yes, beefcake, I don’t like those either, I think they’re more for cooking with.

lThey’re called beefsteak here, LOL, beefcake is sexy guy pics!

The total cost of the corrugated acrylic sheeting is £120, . . this will give me a lean-to greenhouse 14 X 4 X 7 foot high, . . that’s not bad, . . the sheets are guaranteed for 10 years against UV damage so they’ll probably outlast me, . . the timber frame will only cost £20. :slight_smile:

I also got a packet of black cherry types today, . . and I remembered my old dad planted African Marigolds to keep the greenfly at bay so I got a packet of those too. :slight_smile:

Marigolds are good for repelling pests around tomatoes, but I usually use the shorter French marigolds myself as I have such a small space, None of my tomato seeds are up yet, although the basil and hot peppers are.

Wish I had room for a greenhouse, I’d go mad planting things! Isn’t Spring wonderful?

The Klondyke centre I was in had a new delivery of Phalaenopsis in DM, . . the varieties were amazing but at £14.95 a pop I passed them by. :confused:

I cheated a bit by getting a seedling in a pot at 95p, this was Ailsa Craig.

I could weep-a well grown plant from me would set you back 65p,and it would be a plant I had grown myself,loved,cared for and only it``s new owner could kill it

I never buy the potted plants at the garden centre, to me the fun is starting them from seed; plus you can get varieties that aren’t available that way.