The Summer of 1976…

I remember the sky glowed red at night as the forest on the mountain burned for weeks.
Great for cricket though.

1 Like

Ah yes, happy memories

6ec34a72887dcfd14119936c18a3d83f--in-summer-childhood-memories

It was also the year of the great ladybird plague.

1 Like

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.”

:smiley:

2 Likes

Oh yeah….and there were loads of caterpillars too.

2 Likes

A bit profound for this hour of the morning… blimey, I’m only on my second coffee :slightly_smiling_face::coffee::coffee:

1 Like

was 1976 in another world

2 Likes

No, just a different dimension.

…was the spring of hope since I’d been discharged from the army and things could only get better. It turned out they did.

1 Like

I’ll never forget the summer of 76. I caught chickenpox which lead to Gangrene in my right shoulder. I spent 16 days in hospital and came close to having my arm amputated. I still carry the scar but luckily there was no long term damage. Phew!!

1 Like

I remember the cracks in the yellow/brown garden lawn. The Summer olympics meant that best friend and I were out in the garden in our leotards every day pretending to be Nadia or Olga. I was petitioning my parents to put a swimming pool in the garden and had its location all planned out. For the next 6 years it rained every summer.

1 Like

I’d just started as an apprentice electrician, it was quite strange though, it seemed like , one minute I was at school, the next, it was the big bad world…as life went on the world got bigger and badder…

1 Like

cancelled

My grandmother and I had just moved in with my mother due to prevailing circumstances we both needed looking after .
She sat out in the garden every day in the sun her head protected with a large brimmed straw hat but still was as brown as a nut by the end of summer .
I met a man due to become my second husband ,my father had a leg amputated .
Yes I remember 1976 well .

1 Like

I remember it well. It was my first house. In order save some costs I took some neighbours. In mean time time I had business in Tiawan. . That was eight months. and I got married there. Still in my old house.

1 Like

1976 the birth of my daughter what a change of lifestyle that was for me 2 years later we had our boy,I was used to it by then. :grin:

1 Like

summer of 76 … I came to London for the weekend. And I’m still here!

3 Likes

Blimey Ralph that would be hard to forget…glad you survived

1 Like

Spent most of it in the largest urban park in the UK, brimming with the fairer sex, managed to dodge work to immerse in the ambience.

1 Like

Thanks Summer. As I was off school (I was only 9 years old at the time) I was playing outside in the sunshine chasing insects and digging for worms in the compost heap. I was living my best life but the doctors said it was likely that a fly had landed on an open wound and that’s how the infection had started. I think it was a bit of insect karma and they were getting payback. 🪰😂

1 Like