The Sapperton Canal Tunnel

2 Likes

All that lovely countryside and they want to spend their time underground ???

1 Like

Thank goodness for TBMs

1 Like

How interesting what an amazing building hidden underground in the woods .

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this, SirFurry. I found it fascinating.
I always enjoy these interesting videos you post about our industrial heritage.

Seeing them go into that abandoned tunnel made me shudder a bit, though - I find it a bit scary travelling through long canal tunnels even when they are well-maintained, like the Harecastle tunnel, so I wouldn’t dare venture into an abandoned one, on foot!

1 Like

Thank you very much Furry for posting this .
I know it well as I lived in Sapperton 50 years ago . I now live about 5 miles away .
When I lived there the Tunnel Keepers cottage by the Sapperton portal was still standing and his daughters old ladies then lived in the village . Why they let it fall down I don’t know .
Sapperton at that time was largely owned by Lord Bathhurst and most of the cottages in the village were owned by the Bathurst estate . Now many have been sold and few if any estate workers live there.
Near the Daneway pub was the canal waiting area , now a private House .
The Daneway was the place the Irish workers lived or least ate and drank !
I knew about the spill mounds but had no idea the shafts were still there I might explore them myself ( if I don’t post anymore you will know what has happened ! )

The Tunnels keepers cottage

2 Likes

What an excellent well documented video Furry, Thanks for posting.
It just goes to show how quickly nature can take back what industry has carved out of the countryside. I find it so interesting discovering remains of buildings, bridges and tunnels among the wild places. He used the word ‘terrifying’ quite often, but I could only see adventure and discovery…And the woman wasn’t too bad on the eye either…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Be careful :grinning:

Rebecca!
They’ve got a lot of stuff like this.
So have quite a few other you tubers.

1 Like

If you need an assistant to hold the torch, I’m your man Muddy…
:bulb:
:flashlight:

1 Like

I might hold you to that Foxy :grinning:

2 Likes