The Responder - BBC

Started last night, starring Martin Freeman as Urgent response officer Chris Carson tasked with working a series of night shifts on his beat in Liverpool and is cracking up. It’s a high pressure, relentless night-time world where his survival depends on a rookie partner and a young heroin addict.

Very, very, darkly comic in places; well acted though.

1 Like

I gave it about 5 minutes before switching over.
I am patiently waiting for a good old thriller/crime drama where the leading actors do not have persoal issues which adds nothing to the story whatsoever. I am so glad I can get foreign crime dramas which are far superior to the rubbish we now produce.

I certainly wouldn’t refer to it as “rubbish”.
Relentless misery yes, but very fine acting from all the cast especially Freeman.
It’s realistic too as it’s scripted by someone who did that job, so he knows what he’s talking about.
I can’t say it was uplifting though!
Might give it one more episode…

P.S. Guardian gave it *****
I always read the comments in the Guardian tv reviews, they’re brilliant!
Never read that paper for any other reason!

Just been watching on i player, episode 4 now, I like it.

Ooooo I’d decided not to bother, now I might change my mind!!

Give it a go but stick with it.

1 Like

Almost continual swearing. Over and over.
’ F ’ word was every other word. Way overdone for me.
Pity, because the acting was good, just got fed up with no other vocubulary.

Found difficulty with the accent and don’t like subtitles so switched over. May try again however.

I couldn’t understand why he was a lone policeman, when his two colleagues were a pair?
I didn’t get a nice feel for it and l was put off when he stole the dead old lady’s tobacco and rummaged in her drawers and took some of her tablets.
I didn’t like the Liverpool accents, they seemed a bit OTT.
I thought, Martin Freeman was trying to sound like the brilliant actor Stephen Graham and l have read others thought the same too.

I’m not sure l want to watch anymore… but l might!

1 Like

My feelings exactly Artangel. It’s on because OH is watching it but I’m not.

1 Like

Well I’m up to no 5, not to everyone’s taste but what is ?

I forgot to say, l think the actress who plays Casey is excellent. She really does look the part.

And it’s getting darker still. At least episode 2 had a bit more “go” about it. I’m starting to enjoy it now. As for the accent and language, isn’t it like that in some of the more down-trodden areas of Liverpool?

I’ve finished but won’t spoil it, not bad.

Gave up on this one - far too depressing for me.

One thing I noticed was how often the word “lad” was used.

A Very Good series. It reflects how things really are out there in the world.
Here’s to Season 2 hopefully .

Hello Nexus :wave:

Hello Percy_Vere , Hope you are having a good day .

Just finished watching ‘This is Going to Hurt’ on the BBC . Another great drama showing how things really are , with a dollop of comedy added to it. Excellent , give it a try

There’s already a thread running for “This Is Going To Hurt” and, yes, it’s funny in parts, gory in others.