The Queen Has Tested Positive For Covid

Today’s light duties include a video call with Boris. As you say, Muddy, “Poor old dear” :icon_biggrin:

1 Like

You’re a cynic, Muddy.
I’m sure I couldn’t do what she does at age 95. Could you?

She should really be resting because Covid can progress despite starting mildly and it’s not always obvious that it’s not going to get worse. E.g. Bo in 2020 was on vid calls and working when he had his case. I see daily wail has jumped on this story as a clickbait opportunity.

The Covid strain in 2020, unvaccinated, was a whole different animal to the Omicron strain in 2022, for the fully vaccinated and boostered.

I’ve had both - the first dose in early 2020 took 18 months to recover from and left me with long-term respiratory and digestive problems.
The most recent Omicron infection last month, when I was fully vaccinated, was just a severe headache for a few hours and the symptoms of mild cold for a couple of days.

I know the Queen is much older than me but she has the best medical care in the country and “light duties” for her will probably be much less physical than most people have to deal with - she won’t even have to cook and clean up for herself.

2 Likes

True but I know people much younger than me who have also been triple vaxxed and really suffered. I guess that’s because Delta is still doing the rounds here and there. Also the Queen at her age has lower immunity purely because of ageing. I do hope she recovers well. I just think it’s a good idea to rest because it can change just like that.

I suspect I also had covid back in Spring 2020 (no testing back then) and have had annoying problems ever since such as muscle pain and an inability to exercise excessively or do much of anything strenuous more than one day in a row. I then had a very bad reaction to the first vaccine. But since then no infections, although it does leave a shadow on your life, walking up the stairs or having to run I sometimes get out of breath never had this before. Someone I work with is the same age as me and he really suffered quite badly for weeks after 3ple vaxx. It’s like bertie botts every flavour beans.

My grandmother who started worked in a cotton factory at 12 lived until she was 93 a life of poverty and hardship . Had she lead a privileged life with no financial worries or hard physical work waited on hand and foot she may have lived until 95 .Yes given the circumstances I expect I could .

2 Likes

I hope she does to but aren’t people with covid supposed to be isolating ?

1 Like

She was supposed to have been having some video calls today, but they’ve been cancelled so is only doing her normal daily work which is going through the red book with her private secretary who would be classed as her household. According to Sky News that is.

The following is based upon an article on the queens daily life, published last year & her role looks to be largely similar to that of someone within a care home. She has a bath run for her. Her clothes put out for her. She seems to chat to a variety of visitors during a two hour period during the morning, these are so called dignitaries & for 10 minutes each. She also seems to talk to to staff such as her PA, press secretary etc etc. And paper work is mentioned during the above 2 hour period when she also gets briefed on the news. So the paperwork cannot take more than a few minutes at most & is probably simply her signing her name to it. She gets her meals provided, much like a care home. Her afternoon includes reading the racing post & a short walk. Her tea includes sandwiches cut into quarters with the crusts removed. As presumably her care plan has recognised a chock risk. This is normal practice within care homes.

I do not see how the queens life is that much different in it basic elements to any other older person, who is living in a cared for setting. The people she meets may be better paid than average care staff & visitors to a care home & she may get choices when it comes to food, more privacy & more luxury. But beyond the numbers her life is not so much different to many others her own age.

I wonder if like many of us she looks back over her past and remembers the beautiful young woman she was and thinks blimey how did this happen . She always was small but shes tiny now . What a beauty she was too . How amazing her life must have been to have anything in the world at her fingertips. Enchanted I think . But then her adult kids have been a pain in the butt!

3 Likes

I like your Queen - and wish her well.

1 Like

‘Your Queen’? I always assumed that you were from this country, though it doesn’t say own on your profile. In which country do you live, if I may ask?

God’s own country - Yorkshire!
I said ‘your Queen’ because I am not a British subject, JBR, I am Irish.

Oh, I’m sorry to hear that ST.
Well, we all have our cross to bear! :rofl:

3 Likes

… and me, l am Irish too but l am loyal to this country… England that has given me so much, so much opportunity and a brilliant life.
Like in the song… you love the one, you’re with!

3 Likes

:ok_hand::point_right::+1::+1::+1::hugs:

1 Like

I never said I wasn’t either loyal or appreciative of this country. All I said, truthfully, was that I am not a British subject. I have the greatest repect for your Queen and wish her nothing but the best. She is a remarkable woman.

1 Like

ST, I hope you realise I was only joking with you!
I’ve nowt against the Irish and have some Irish friends… as well as you.

2 Likes

Watch it you - or I’ll set the Mór-Ríoghain on you!

1 Like

What on earth is a Mór-Ríoghain?
Is it a leprechaun?

1 Like