The perils of batch cooking

Not that I do any

I do a lot of batch cooking, never had a problem.

Even the 10 or so meals I buy from ThePantry@Corrimal that I freeze have never given me a stomach upset

Maybe you stomach is primed with vegimite !
I have lived in the tropics and in third world countries which tend to make you develop and iron clad digestion .( Not saying Australia is either of these )

After reading the article, I agree with everything the experts said - and I do follow all the precautions they mention.
:innocent:

Most of my batch cooking tends to be veggie soup / veggie casseroles and veggie/tomato sauces to use with freshly cooked pasta or freshly cooked rice.
I always portion it up into single serving containers and seal it straight away, then get it into the freezer as soon as possible.
I don’t think freezing or reheating pasta or rice is worth the risk, for the time it takes to cook it fresh, so I never do it.

2 Likes

I think it’s sound advice and common sense, really

But there’s a risk to eating any food! You can never be 100% sure it’s OK, whether home cooked, restaurant or take-away

All you can do is take reasonable precautions then hope for the best, it doesn’t do to get too fussy or paranoid about it, or let it put you off cooking

My young neighbour won’t cook a whole chicken because she saw that thing on TV about how you shouldn’t wash it and the bacteria spreading round the kitchen

And now she thinks it’s dangerous and just uses frozen portions

2 Likes

I read this today and it confirms what I have always thought.

i see pictures of people’s batch cooking and it looks totally repulsive. Plastic tubs of curry, stew and shepherds pie. the only batch cooking I do is soups because they freeze really well. If I ever have an odd portion of food (eg lasagne or curry) I pop it in the freezer but it is never very nice when reheated.

Good hygiene and common sense should be the two golden rules.

I batch freeze vegs when in season, soups, stews, sauces and my own ready meals. Everything is labelled and dated - when it was made and a potential use by date. Anything with meat/poultry in it I aim to use within six months. Vegs can safely be kept longer as long as they were blanched before freezing. If you don’t blanch first then use within three months.

I don’t batch cook, rather eat fresh what I fancy on the day .
Although there’s nothing wrong with batch cooking .
I eat a lot of raw vegetables.
Ottolenghi I’d not heard of it and had to look it up.
Some of the veg recipes I’ve made without any problems.

1 Like