The news headlines

Does any one take notice of the headlines in the Mail, there’s one about meat shortages,Christmas dinner under threat, gas price crisis, we’re all doomed. Wonder how it will all pan out.

Meat set to run out in just TWO weeks and Christmas dinner is under threat in gas crisis: Minister will hold emergency summit with energy bosses tomorrow

*** Meat producers have warned of shortages in two weeks due to a lack of CO2**
*** Owner of Bernard Matthews said the shortage could affect Christmas dinners**
*** High gas prices have caused a shortage of the gas used in food production**
*** Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng to hold emergency summit with energy bosses**

Newspapers creating what they Sow…shortages now for sure.
…now where is that storeroom full of Toilet Rolls…
next to the other storerooms just awaiting to be stocked up with Xmas Dinners, enough for the next 20 years or so.

1 Like

Papers causing trouble again which will create shortages in the shops . But I do believe we are in for price rises , it is worrying me a little especially gas electric and food prices

The price of petrol and diesel has been rising bit by bit for a while now , its bound to be passed on ,big dilemma now for the government how soon to raise interest rates to put a cap on inflation.

Hi

CO2 is essential for the food industry and is a byproduct of fertiliser manufacture, which has stopped due to gas prices.

It is essential for the slaughter of chickens.

There might well be shortages but the newspapers hyping it up is going to make matters worse. I think we might need immediate rationing measures putting in place once the newspapers create/publish scares like this.

Such scaremongering. I refuse to be drawn in by the articles, and will wait and see what is or isn’t available. I have already received notification of gas and electric price rises.

As Swimmy often says, it is what it is.

Perhaps now, the government will understand that fracking is essential if the UK is to not be so reliant on gas imports. It’s the same with the fire that has reduced electricity imported from France via one of the interconnectors. We could have be self sufficient if successive governments had not taken the easy out.

2 Likes

Good point about fracking, seems to be quiet on that front.

Hi

We have a problem with the way our Contracts are written.

Other Countries write their Contracts differently.

Oil and gas licences in other Countries have clauses saying that the Government can insist on minimum levels of production as a matter of national security, tis the same with electricity production.

Wind power is fine, but we have little wind recently, hence production drops.

We always have waves and tides, but have not insisted on that form of generation.

The other thing is we let all and sundry buy our Companies without any conditions on them, which is a nightmare.

It is an American Company which bought two plants producing 60% of the CO2 here in the UK.

The Americans have shut production down due to the high cost of gas.

This simply cannot happen in other Countries, not even extreme free market systems such as the USA and Singapore.

Why do we need CO2 for meat processing? Buy what you need, when you need it, fresh from your local butcher’s shop.

A shedload of scaremongering going on to generate the next panic buying sessions methinks because people have tired/are tiring of all the gloom and doom surrounding Covid.

2 Likes

Oh I gave up on reading the news…its so depressing. If there’s food and heating in my house, I’m quite happy. Not going to think about what if’s, because they don’t actually exist, believe it or not.

1 Like

Most news programs go for the ‘Gotcha’ moment. Then spend the rest of the program embellishing it. Personally I think that unless it’s really newsworthy they should be reduced to Five minute bulletins like the radio.

Hi

We need it because it is used in large amounts for the humane slaughter of pigs and poultry.

There are alternatives to CO2 available, however it would take months to modify the abattoirs and install the new equipment, which is electrical stunning.

CO2 is also used for dry ice in frozen foods, we can get round using it in food packaging for chilled foods.

So we go from too much CO2 to not enough CO2 in one fell swoop Swimmy ?
What will the climate protesters say now :hugs::hugs:
Donkey man! :thinking::thinking:

Isn’t beer pumped with co2, seen nothing about that running out.

Well you know priorities and all! :heart_eyes_cat: :heart_eyes_cat:

2 Likes

I read that the remoaners were out in force laughing their little cotton socks off and blaming this lack of CO2 on Brexit. Unfortunately, it seems the EU is running out just as fast as we are.