The Multi Million Pound Speeding Business

So, it’s been many many years since I got done for speeding, probably 25 to 30 years in fact. Got caught about 4 weeks ago in a 30mph zone early in the morning around 7.15am. No other cars on the road ahead or behind.

No pedestrians whatsoever and certainly no kids.

Pavements both sides of the road.

Speed van sitting in a layby clocking people quite happily.

I’ve been offered a National Speed Awareness Course (NSAC) which will cost me £90.

It’s in lieu of any prosecution or points on my license of course but it’s a fine line whether it is worth doing the course or taking the points.

Stats state that last year well over 1 million motorists attended NSACs which means £90 milllion was nicely finding its way into someone’s pockets.

Approx £35 from every course goes to the police, the rest go to these fat cats running this lucrative exploitation racket.

Let me make a prediction here. We are ALL going to see a HUGE ramp up in these detector vans because this very very lucrative racket has a VERY limited life span.

I say this because at the moment MOST insurance companies only ask you if you’ve had any convictions or accidents in the last 5 years. If you took an NSAC then you didn’t get a conviction so you can happily say No to the insurance company.

HOWEVER . . . .

Some insurance companies have already clocked on to this and now ask if you have been on an NSAC and if so, they treat that just the same as a speeding ticket and load your premium accordingly. At this time the Admiral Group of insurance companies are doing this.

Faced with that there is really no point at all in attending an NSAC because it’s going to cost you pretty much the same amount (£90 NSAC vs £100 fine) and your insurance premium is going to go up regardless.

Thus right now, people WILL choose an NSAC because right now most insurance companies are not asking you to declare if you have been on one. But the moment they do all start asking that question, is the moment when this lucrative NSAC business will die out overnight except for a few straggler courses.

Points on your licence are meaningless until and unless you rack up 6 to 9 points. Yes, at that point you’d take an NSAC if odffered one to avoid reaching 12 pts and losing your license but otherwise who cares if you have 3 points on your licence?!

So we are currently in a definitive period. A period in which these NSAC companies (who are all private BTW, nothing to do with the police) are making hay whilst the sun shines, but literally in 1 to 2 years I would say, the insurance companies are all going to start asking people to declare if they’ve been on NSACs and at that point it is Game Over for these private companies, because there will be no reason or incentive for people to pay them £90 to sit in a 4 hour lecture any more. This being the case we can expect these private companies to make the very most of the next 1 to 2 years. There will be an increasing number of vans patrolling all the well known lucrative spots, at the bottom of hills, around corners and so on.

We will need to be very much on our guard to avoid being picked off by these parasites.

Understand that people are being caught at 31 mph in 30mph zones. These private firms do not care. Cameras do not take into account the myriad of circumstances involved in driving. They are one dimensional and emotionless. Every car caught over the limit, however small, is another £90 in the bank.

It is a very lucrative business !

1 Like

Yeah it’s a real pain with these camera vans, who follow the letter of the law and not police the roads like traffic cops used to, much easier when you may get pulled for speeding and receive some friendly advice and be on your way, but not with a van who are just there to make money,

You still get fined even if you take the course which goes to prove it’s all about the money.

I never got offered the course , just got the 3 points and the £60 fine

The points stayed for five years but thankfully my insurance company ignored them and I never got an increase in premiums

No that’s not true. The NSAC if it is offered is in place of being fined/convicted. If you complete the NSAC satisfactorily then no fine, no points, no conviction. However the cost of the NSAC itself is about the same as a fine so money wise, yep, comparable, but it’s not a fine.

There’s no automatic offering of an NSAC. It depends on various things.

The amount you were speeding by is one factor. If you are in a 30mph zone then if you’re doing 42mph or over you will not get offered an NSAC.

If you’ve previously been on an NSAC in the last 3 years you also won’t get offered one.

Has that changed in recent years? I seem to remember my Dad having to pay the fine as well as attending the course. I might be remembering that wrongly.

I was done for 47 in a 40 and never had a ticket before

I don’t usually speed, I was driving the coast road which is mostly 60 and just didn’t realise I was coming in to a village boundary

Cruise control is your best friend.

No excuse for speeding especially at our age when speed limits are no longer the challenge they once were.

It’s quite possible it HAS changed. What might have started out as an initiative to educate drivers is now just a multi million pound business.

It’s a clear colaboration between ruthless private firms running courses and the police forces who get their nice cut of the profits.

It’s in both their interests to keep that gravy train running as long as possible. It has nothing whatsoever to do with driver re education.

You should have been offered an NSAC assuming you’ve not been on a previous one.

The limits run along the lines in this link:

https://www.lancashire.police.uk/media/1339492/speed-thresholds-0516.pdf

NSACs are offered for :

36 to 42 in a 30mph zone
47 to 53 in a 40mph zone
58 to 64 in a 50mph zone
69 to 75 in a 60mph zone
80 to 86 in a 70mph zone

The business issue that these parasites are facing is simple. The police are getting their lucrative cut of the profits, they get £35 of every £90 course, so that’s over £35m a year funding the police which they badly need.

Because of that the police force is very happy to cooperate and offer NSACs rather than prosecute people.

Note that if you just accept a fine and points then the money goes into the Treasury, rather than directly into the police force. So you can see straight away why the police are in league with these private firms.

The problem however is that the insurance companies are NOT getting a slice of that action. By stopping people getting convictions, the insurance companies are not able to load your premiums. They are losing out.

Which is why they are now starting to ask the addition question of whether you have attended any correction courses. Once that becomes widespread it’s Game Over for these private firms.

Note also that there are more than just Speed Awareness Courses. There are also specific courses for people caught using a mobile phone whilst driving and for not wearing seat belts and drink driving etc.

If the govenment were the least bit interested in educating drivers then it would offer all these courses freely to people.

I agree.

Motorist = cash cow.

I don’t understand what that means.

‘No excuse for speeding’ is what people say until they are caught speeding. I was caught years ago for doing 35 in a 30 zone and that was because the speed limit had literally changed over night. They had put up new signs and placed a camera van in position. The course was not available then so I just had to pay the fine and take the points like the other hundred or so that got stitched up that morning.

These days I always use speed control where possible but it’s not possible to use it around British towns or country roads.

My wife and I have both been on speed awareness courses. In each case, it was about 37 mph in a 30 limit, though in different locations.

I have several conflicting opinions about this.

Firstly, in fairness, the course was interesting and quite lighthearted rather than dictatorial.

On the other hand, knowing that profits are made by both the course providers and the police tends to grate a little. I think I’d be happier if all profits from both speed awareness courses and speeding fines went, for example, to charities or the NHS.

Another annoyance is the many examples I have seen on motorways and elsewhere, where sudden speed limits are imposed for no apparent reason - no road works, for example. Suddenly, driving along at 70 mph, mandatory 50 mph signs appear on an overhead gantry. Why? Are they testing our observational skills? It’s the same with bus lanes which suddenly appear and disappear. Money-raising tactics, surely.

I got busted last year for driving at 38mph in a thirty zone. I have driven the road thousands of times and it was always a 40mph speed limit with no camera van. It changed virtually overnight to 30mph and a camera van was added. I believe the 30mph signs were obscured, and if it wasn’t so far from home I would have gone out a studied the route and contested the conviction. I consider it as ‘Entrapment’ a deliberate attempt to penalise drivers under the pretence of ‘Road Safety’…

They being my first three points, I couldn’t be arsed with attending the course. Double whammy though, my insurance premium also increased a few quid…:frowning:
What about the real speeders though? The ones who have no regard for pedestrians or other road users, and speed through our housing estate (30mph) at over fifty miles an hour. Where are the bloody camera vans then?

My thoughts exactly. We are easy targets.

Of course, the obvious answer is not to speed.

That’s easy to say, though, and it’s also easy to creep over the speed limit too - by a little. We have speed limit signs, yes, but we also have a plethora of other road signs most of which are totally unnecessary and distracting. At the same time, we must try to keep an eye on our speedometer.

Yes, ‘speed control’ has been mentioned. I have that but, to be honest, find it completely impractical on our roads so never use it. No sooner do I switch it on than there’s a queue up ahead and I have to slow down anyway, even on motorways!

I don’t have cruise control, and even the cars I have had that did have it, Id never use it

Totally impractical on single lane country roads