The Most Important Food in an English Breakfast is.....?

The bap looks good. I’ll just have that with a good sized deep red tomato from the greenhouse grilled with a couple of good Norfolk sausages.

1 Like

We sometimes have scrambled eggs for breakfast with a couple of slices of toasted.

1 Like

I do like that Stornaway black pudding with oatmeal. But, going all purist here, I prefer European boudin noir. In the UK pretty much all black puddings are made with dried pig’s blood - shipped into the UK from mostly unknown sources. Certainly no traceability back to the farm and how the animals have been reared and cared for. In Europe puddings are mostly made with fresh blood - provenance same as for the meat.

2 Likes

Well, I never knew that … :open_mouth:

It seems that even the renowned Bury Black Puddings are made using imported blood:

We have not used fresh blood in our black puddings since the collection of blood was banned in the UK during the BSE crisis of 1996. Whilst that ban has now been lifted, and fresh blood can be collected again, the scale of the UK blood industry is not able to meet the demands of major producers like ourselves.

We can confirm that we use dried pigs blood which is sourced from a single Spanish supplier that use animals from a single country of origin (Spain) and meet strict EU product guidelines for safety, quality and welfare.

1 Like

It is good that this producer cares about the source of the dried blood. Many won’t.

2 Likes

Yuk!
:face_vomiting:

1 Like

Spain is as cruel as everyone else in the treatment of pigs .

1 Like

On my last trig point hunt earlier in the year I had to walk past a totally enclosed pig farm and the screams of pain coming from the pigs made my blood curdle. I have thought about it since (in fact, too much) and will never go back there again…
:flushed:

1 Like

as a sided issue just how intelligent are pigs compared to other farm animals ??- could they be compared to a favorite pet the dog for example??

1 Like

Surely this is why traceability of foods, especially meat, is so important. Personally I’d rather be faced with more expensive meat that I buy less frequently but can be sure of the good raising and slaughter of the animals. Ideally, if possible, raised locally as well.
I’d also add something about using all of the animal. Which is why the pig features so well in a proper breakfast.

1 Like

Pigs have the intelligence of a human toddler and are ranked as the fifth most intelligent animal in the world! In fact, pigs are more intelligent and trainable than any breed of dog.

PAH …

I only eat halal beef & lamb. Those people know what they are doing. :023:

The egg. No runny yolks for me thanks.

2 Likes

Yep…I’d go along with that Lincs. Quality over quantity everytime.

1 Like

unfortunately they can take up too much room?? - I’ll never forget that great scene in heartbeat when nick has to walk throught the pig pen to get to the mother and son act with the dead fathers bank chit !!! that was a pigs feast!!

1 Like

A hotel in Portugal we stayed at was run by English people. They offered a very large full English breakfast that they reckon few people had manged to finish. I had no trouble with it and as a result, got a comical certificate to say I’d eaten all of it. I still have it somewhere.

All of the traditional items are important in the full English breakfast but the most important for me are bacon and black pudding.

1 Like

Dreadful expats, no class.

1 Like

This is a traditional ‘roosterkoek’ or roasted bread made by the inhabitants of the Northern Cape region. It was a veld/field/bush breakfast morning. My filling is eggs and bacon :bacon:. It was yummy.

Off topic sorry. I thought you’d like to see breakfast from one of the regions in my country.

3 Likes

That bread looks delicious - I could fancy one of those breakfast sandwiches, but without the bacon - maybe a few sautéed mushrooms instead. Oh, and I prefer a firm egg white and runny yolk, thanks! :smiley: :yum: :+1:

1 Like