The Mayor in a love affair - TV ad

Love that song :+1::two_hearts: Not keen on it being sung by a choir, though, has to be The Kinks :rofl:

2 Likes

I love London itā€™s my favourite city in all the world ā€¦I would say that wouldnā€™t I ā€¦I was born there .
But truly London is a wonderful city .
Would I want to live there ā€¦No itā€™s a city for the young .
However itā€™s a great place to visit .

3 Likes

I could count on the fingers of a two fingered man the number of times I have visited London, and still have a finger spare.
I have passed through on the way to else where many times, I think itā€™s a good place for that.

My favourite city in the world is Buenos Aires but I donā€™t think I will ever see it again .

wow how exciting.

We always thought we would retire to the country, but London has so much to offer ā€¦

Yes it was
I was only 20 and had practically no money I used to rattle around Buenos Aires in one of their little buses they are called ā€˜collectivosā€™ā€™ you had to leap on and off while the driver zoomed down the streets taking fares at the same time . ( Fangio the racing driver started life as a bus driver in BA )

1 Like

wot no screen words - I speak ozzie!

London a city for young
Maybe as you live there you donā€™t notice it .
But as a visiting wrinkly thatā€™s me I had a few days away in London last week ā€¦and it hits you the demographics in favour of the younger generation.

Wise choice donā€™t retire to the country you could find yourself marooned away from public transport shops doctors etc.

Just looked this up online
The largest five-year age band is 30 to 34 year olds in Inner London, 35 to 39 year olds in Outer London and 50 to 54 year olds in the rest of England . A relatively small proportion of Londonā€™s population is over 65; 10% in Inner London and 13.8% in Outer London compared to 19.6% in the rest of England.

1 Like

Yes. And what with all this talk about keeping warm in winter ā€¦

We live in a microclimate, in a small terraced house, neighbours both sides keeping us warm. Clean pavements and parks with pathway, no wellies required. I do like the countryside, both myself and Ms d00d were born & raised on a farm. We know it can be tough in winter.

1 Like

I think that is true for any city as people get older they look for a tree change.

1 Like

Hi

I used to dread going to London for work, always at rush hour, jam packed transport and stupid prices.

Sunday mornings in London can be very nice, much slower pace of life and lots to see

Every morning is Sunday morning when youā€™re OAP, just avoid the rush.

This was taken in the December of of 1980 I think, certainly just a few days before Christmas.
It was Stratford East London, a stoneā€™s throw from where the Olympic Park is now.

Iā€™m not sure about the dereliction, I donā€™t think it was due to bomb damage, more likely and old factory of some sort awaiting redevelopment. The grey corrugated panels used to be a common sight in London, not any more, not much wasteland left.

Oh, and we werenā€™t responsible for the graffiti, it just seemed like a good place to pose during our lunch break. Weā€™d been laying down a four track demo tape in a recording studio, that was our band, a right bunch of scruffy Herberts!

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure youā€™re right ā€¦
However London to a greater extent is a magnet for the younger generations.

Which one is you Chilli ?

Heā€™s the post punk mod revivalist.

1 Like

The one on the right Muddy, with the dyed jet black hair and Dr Martens.

1 Like

Complex character or downright confused, probably the latter. :crazy_face:

1 Like

But London still has itā€™s ā€œold dearsā€, always has. Usually powerful characters with a gob on them, Iā€™m thinking of my granny!

But I like the way London is full of young people and ideas, it keeps it vibrant and changing

When I visit I feel ten years younger and come back sparking, then start ageing rapidly again down here among the retirees!

Itā€™s good for old people to mix with younger and get challenged a bit

1 Like