The Mayor in a love affair - TV ad

What a guy.

Now, I bet, you all want to live here.

Nope. Who made this? Seriously?

1 Like

“The promotions are part of Love London – the latest chapter of the Mayor’s Let’s Do London campaign which has been encouraging people from London, the rest of the UK and around the world to visit Britain’s capital following the devastating impact of COVID-19 on its retail, cultural, hospitality and leisure industries.”

1 Like

Ok thanks for the explanation. :+1:

Now you’ve made me cry :cry::rofl:

Because yes, I do want to live there and, soppy and trite and twee as it is, that advert is exactly how I feel about London!

Will it attract outsiders? Not sure, to me, that’s more directed at Londoners themselves :woman_shrugging:

I’m reaching for my sick bag!

4 Likes

“That dirty old river, it runs through my veins!” :rofl:

2 Likes

It is a very long time since I lived in London as a teenager and I knew then I never wanted to live there permanently - but I still love to visit for a few days occasionally and do a bit of sightseeing, see a show, visit a gallery or museum and sometimes take a nostalgic trip down memory lane to the places I used to go.

I haven’t been to London since a year or two before the Covid pandemic began and I must admit when I watched that video, it reminded me of all the interesting galleries and museums I love and the river trips, theatres, ballet performances I would love - it’s got me hankering for a few days in London now!

2 Likes

Forgive me Maree,
I’m busy burning something for dinner at the moment.
I had a very quick listen to your link, made me think of the Pogues although a kind of boy band version if that makes sense?

1 Like

I love The Thames to bits!
I’m still struggling with wether or not to splash out for a new permit from The Port of London Authority.

2 Likes

Are you a Mudlark, @Chilliboot ?
Are those items old clay pipes?

That must be fascinating - I sometimes watch You Tube programmes made by a couple of Mudlarks and some of their “finds” bring up really interesting bits of social history.
(I can’t remember what the proper name is but I remember being taught at school that the young foragers along the Thames were called Mudlarks)

2 Likes

I’m a mudlark at heart boot, and yes those are clay tobacco pipes spanning several centuries. The smallish one in the middle of the picture would have been very late Tudor or early Stuart I think.

It gets a just a little bit involved if you want to explore The Thames foreshore, defo get a permit and don’t dig or scrape near any London bridges :wink:

I think it’s been said that the Thames foreshore is one of the richest archeological sites in the world.

2 Likes

To think that the bowl of an easily breakable clay pipe could survive being dropped in the river and lay there intact in the mud for around 400 years - Wow!

Some of my friends went foraging along the River Thames on one of their London weekend trips - I think they booked a supervised session with the River Thames Trust, they provide group leaders to take you out there and show you the ropes - I presume they sort out whatever temporary permits are needed too.
I wasn’t with them on that trip but I thought it seemed a good idea to do that, to give a taster of what to expect, before “jumping in at the deep end”, as it were. and applying for a permit.

2 Likes

Believe it or not it’s quite pleasant to take a stroll along the foreshore, you never know who you’re going to meet, I say that in a good way.

Just make sure you check out the tide tables, big time :+1:

1 Like

Ah! the lazy man’s pipe. You never had to pick them up if you dropped them.

1 Like

Sorry but this is just awful.

This song captures the essence of London - no PR agencies/consultants needed to sum up the true spirit, or perhaps post-covid that spirit is gone?

1 Like

Personally I think London is a lovely city and very much enjoyed living and working there. It doesn’t have the beauty of Sydney but it definitely has history and character on its side.

2 Likes

They call themselves a Punk Folk band and one journalist said they were like the Pogues but with better teeth! :rofl:

No Irish connection, though, very much based on life in London and the Camden Town Indie stuff. They also do Sea Shanties! They are my favourite listen at the moment and remind me of home :+1:

1 Like

Love that song :+1::two_hearts: Not keen on it being sung by a choir, though, has to be The Kinks :rofl:

2 Likes

I love London it’s my favourite city in all the world …I would say that wouldn’t I …I was born there .
But truly London is a wonderful city .
Would I want to live there …No it’s a city for the young .
However it’s a great place to visit .

3 Likes