The killing in Tiger Bay

BBC 2
Terrible true story of five black and mixed race men falsely convicted of murder due to police corruption racism and brutality .
They were totally innocent and had no evidence at all against them
The killer a white man was eventually caught by DNA man years later .
Police got off Scot free.

Where are the Cardiff Five now?

Only three of the five men are still alive - Stephen, Tony and John.

In September 2007, Ronnie was found dead in his back garden. Police said there were no suspicious circumstances.

Four years later, Yusef Abdullahi died at the age of 49.

Cardiff solicitor Matthew De Maid, whose firm represented Mr Abdullahi during the Cardiff Five case, says his client struggled to move on from the catastrophic events of being wrongfully accused.

“He found life very difficult following his case and wrongful conviction,” said Mr De Maid.

“He found it difficult to come to terms with life even after he was formally cleared.”

All three surviving men will appear in the documentary to speak about the aftermath of the horrific event and the impact the investigative process had on their lives. They’ll also open up on the events which followed.

John Actie, who is now 60 and still lives in Butetown, recently revealed how the infamous Valentine’s Day of 1988 changed his life, and those of his wrongly co-accused, forever.

Speaking to WalesOnline, he said: “My life hasn’t been normal for 30-odd years. It’s never going to be the same now even after all these years and the dust has settled. I was wronged, [the detectives] got away with it – I’m always going to be angry.”

In 2016, Tony Paris spoke out about the incident during an interview with Jeremy Vine.

“It’s the worst thing you can ever imagine,” he said at the time.

“Emotionally, mentally there isn’t words to explain certain types of feelings when things happen to you.”

Recalling a moment from the case, he added: “So I’m telling the police for months ‘I don’t know nothing, I don’t hang around with these people and indeed if you’re telling me these people were there, they wasn’t there with me.’”

Despite what had happened, Paris moved back to Cardiff, which he says will always be his home, his parents having settled there from Nevis St Kitts not long before Tony’s birth in 1957 when it was known as Tiger Bay - a multicultural district razed as part of a slum clearance in the 1960s.

“Living in the docks was brilliant,” he said back in 2016.

“I was brought up with all nationalities, all colours all religions. White boys, Black boys, Somali boys, Arab boys, Chinese boys, we didn’t see that, we were just docks boys.”

Source: Radiotimes.com