The Jewish Book of Why

I have put this in here rather than in a general ‘what are you reading’ book thread because it is not a book to be read ‘cover to cover’. Rather it is a serendipity compilation of all things Jewish including humour. Was rummaging on my bookshelf for something entirely different and found it sitting there - it is an ex-library book sold by a Charity shop for £1.50p - and I do not even remember buying it - but am having a lot of fun dipping in and out of it - and discovering lots about Jewish customs I had not previous known

Examples;

Q - Why are Jewish children usually not named after living relatives?
A - Some Jewish sects believe it would rob a person of his/her full life if another member of the family were to carry his/her name during their lifetime.

Q - Why was a Matchmaker (shadchan) such an important person in Jewish communal life?
A - Jews as a whole were so often denied mobilty - but - the Matchmaker was allowed to travel, and thus was able to bring together people from various communities who might otherwise never meet.

Q - Why are women required to light the Sabbath candles?
A - The traditional explanation from the Talmud (Shabbat 31b) since it was a woman who caused man’s downfall and diminished the light of the world it is a woman’s obligation to light the candles and bring back the light.

Q - Why was/is a loaf of bread given to a couple on their return from honymoon?
A - So that bread may never be lacking in their home.

Written by Rabbi Alfred J Kolatch - Published in New York in 1981.
I am finding it fascinating, informative, and a lot of fun!

5 Likes

Yes it is a good read for those who are interested and with time on their hands to read and understand, although the reader must bear in mind that in today’s often hurried times, many of the old customs have fallen by the wayside in favour of fitting in with the wider community.
The book was previously titled This Is The Torah.

1 Like

I didn’t know that - I learn something new each day in here! :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :shamrock:

1 Like

Well, here’s another snippet for you. This old lapsed Jew married a slightly doubting Christian Swede almost 55 yrs ago and our children were raised to realise that although there is a power greater than the sum of us, they were free to form their own important points of view as far as religion is concerned.

2 Likes

You might find this somewhat heavy going, but it is informative about Mount Sinai and The Ten Commandments.
What Really Happened at Mount Sinai? - TheTorah.com

1 Like

Excellent, Longdriver, and just as it should be in my opinion.

1 Like

Wow - interesting - and very different from what/how I was taught - it actually makes more sense! Have bookmarked that website for further reading. I was brought up as Roman Catholic until age 14yrs - and we were not allowed to question - a difficult concept for one who was born questioning everything!

1 Like

And don’t forget Religion is the cause of many wars

1 Like

This is one of the main problems with some religions for a questioning mind. I was the same and haven’t changed as I’ve aged :wink:

1 Like

Between the religious hierarchy and the politicians, ALL wars are started!

1 Like

There is a second book :point_down:

1 Like

When my full time education came to an end, I made myself the promise that I would study something new every year - and I have kept that promise. Sometimes the subjects have been academic, sometimes arty/crafty, sometimes practical skills - I just love to learn - I love the hoops the brain jumps through to aquire knowledge.

4 Likes

I feel a visit to Amazon coming on! Thank you!

Edit: Found it - it arrives next week!

Or e-bay. Quite often some very good 2nd hand books can be found at well below the new price. This action not only saves you money buy also the trees :ok_hand:
Here is one for £3.99 delivered :point_down:
The Second Jewish Book of Why by Kolatch, Alfred J. Hardback Book The Cheap Fast 9780824603052 | eBay

1 Like

when you get around to reading the Kama Sutra book :roll_eyes: :mask:

1 Like

Been there - done that - nuff said! :innocent: :innocent: :shamrock: :shamrock:

1 Like

That’s okay 'til you reach the keep-one-foot-on-the-floor section … not good for an iffy back :wink:

1 Like

I thought that was how one aquired an iffy back!!! :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :shamrock:

1 Like

Isn’t that more for snooker LongDriver, although they are both games using balls…
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

And holes. Or pockets, as they call them.

1 Like