The Ipcress File

Started last night on ITV1. A new TV adaptation of Len Deighton’s classic novel of the same title. In my humble opinion, this is well cast, well acted, full of wit, quirky camera work, and, for once, no mumbling :mini:.

Harry Palmer and his glasses at their finest. :+1: :heavy_check_mark:

2 Likes

This is a remake of a film of a book by Len Deighton’s so why did the producers feel the need to have a Michael Caine lookalike in the lead role?

As a nod to the original film I suspect - just like his glasses.

Having enjoyed MC’s original interpretation of HP, I could not even consider watching any remake.

1 Like

A little more than a nod methinks. :smiley::smiley:

We watched Episode 1 last night. Very good.
A bonus in using Catch-up and a Firestick seems to be that ALL of the episodes are available now, rather than waiting for them to arrive weekly on live TV!

All episodes are already available on ITV download but I’m pacing myself :lol:

Edited to change channel from My5 to ITV. The loonies are in my head this afternoon :103: :rofl:.

1 Like

I thought that only coppers looked younger as you get older but, it seems, actors do, too:

Harry Palmer, aged 14 and 1⁄2 … :astonished:

Apparently, an ex-corporal - the Caine Palmer was an ex-sergeant … :wink:

1 Like

Yes. We’re going to watch one (or more) each evening.

It was alright but too much of a homage to MIchael Caine. This even extended to the musib=c which I thought was largely Variations on the Score of Get Carter, even though that had nothing to do with Harry palmer beyond the star.

1 Like

I’ve watched them all, I enjoyed it , each to their own.

Wow! A marathon viewing. We’ve seen three, and another one tonight… maybe two.

Like with most remakes of movies, you always have the original in the back of your mind. I did’nt bother with this one, thought the Caine version was made at the time of The Cold War, and had the right feel of that period.

1 Like

I agree. Some time ago I copied the original version from live TV on to a DVD for future use (cheaper than buying an original copy from the shop!).
I intend to get that out after we have watched the last episode of this version.

Incidentally, I have literally hundreds of films and TV programmes I have recorded over the years. In fact, I’m sure that in my remaining years I’m unlikely to ever watch all of them again, and they’re mostly things which Marge doesn’t like!

2 Likes

I could not even consider watching any remake without a Caine lookalike.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’m married to a Marge as well! She watched the latest version and liked it . We definitely have different tastes when it comes to TV programmes and movies. I also have a stack of DVDs, which I watch frequently on my Desktop, while madam’s viewing her guff on the TV!

1 Like

I ought to mention that she isn’t really called Marge. That’s just a bit of fun to fit in with my avatar!

2 Likes

Just flicked onto the program and first impressions is that he’s a cross between a young Vic Reeves and a thin Matt Lucas

I watched some of the TV show tonight & I was not impressed. But it did make me want to fish the DVD out & rewatch the much superior film.

Me too, Gee. I decided it’s not for me.

1 Like