The Gender Pay Gap - Name & Shame

Australia has for the first time released data reflecting the gender pay gap at more than 5,000 companies – every private company with 100 employees or more.

The data paints a stark picture, with some of the country’s biggest and most recognisable employers posting gender pay gaps of 30-40% in favour of male employees.

It is illegal to pay different wages to people doing the same work so I am not sure what this was intended to show other than men tend to be employed in better paid positions than women. Though I understand it is try to bridge that gap.

Will it work?

1 Like

Birmingham City council suddenly started paying the women the same as the blokes to close the gender pay gap and they went bankrupt, now nobody gets paid! Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Was it done without consulting the treasurer beforehand? A bit of number crunching may have helped.

Some bad accounting and plenty of Virtue Signalling Dachs…

1 Like

It’s about time we started doing a bit of levelling down.

1 Like

As I said, in Australia women get exactly the same pay as men for doing the same job because of our industrial relations system and courts, any employer not doing so would face very large fines, it is the law. It is largely showing that women tend to hold lower paid roles.

The only time people get less pay for a given job is if they are under 21 - hence Maccas is entirely staffed by teenagers.

One of the worst companies was IBM with something like 70% female work force the pay gap is 30%. There was only a few companies that actually had a negative pay gap ie where women earned more than the men.

That sounds like a huge paygap.
In France it is around 15% so getting better gradually I guess.