The Gardening Year 2013

Oh, I forgot…someone asked about lawn cutting…no, not me :wink: but my old neighbours daughter has put the place on the market, so she did his. She said, dad would never have forgiven me if the grass grew long. :smiley: Bless :-).

I am quite pleased with mine Janela, I am surprised you have whitefly already :surprised:.

Stay warm Pixie :slight_smile: I am sure you will be able to get out in the garden soon…

Where I sprayed the whitefly in the greenhouse they are all dead :slight_smile: I’ve sprayed the plants with water to wash them and everything looks fresh now. I was hoping not to use chemicals any more but needs must …
I’ve been sowing seeds over Easter. French and African marigolds (my own seeds) Squash and tomatoes. We’ve made some paper pots (a pot press from dil ;-)) for runner beans and sweet peas. In fact I’ve had a lovely time :smiley: My only moan is that I am fast running out of room :confused:
I will be clearing the lower shelves this week to make room for more seed trays.
My lawn needs cutting - can’t persuade hubby to get the mower out though :frowning:

I love those big orange Marigolds, they are the only flowers I will allow in the garden,beautiful.

I put my foot down and hubby got the mower out :wink: the lawn is now cut :smiley: I did a high cut and was amazed at how much I took off … didn’t use the proper mower, just the hover … I intend scarifying it and then use the big mower with a grass box during the week.
Tidied some of the clematis, which are all sprouting and fiddled around in the greenhouse, while hubby edged the lawn. Was amazed to see we spent five hours out there!
Only one disappointment, none of my seeds are sprouting yet :frowning:

Sounds like you did well Janela :slight_smile: I cut the lawns a few weeks ago and the haven’t grown much because it is so cold…

If I’m being honest Meg, I hope the lawn doesn’t grow much yet either.
I’ve an awful back ache now…stretching across the hips :frowning:
I’ll be having a hot shower and two painkillers tonight.

Mrs P has been doing her spring pruning and as usual I have been in charge of picking up all the debris and disposing of it, which can be quite a task as Mrs P is a merciless pruner…:shock:

I have been sowing seeds in the greenhouse in trays rather than open ground as I would normally just to give them a bit of a start. Even with the weather getting a touch milder now I’m not convinced that the hard frosts have completely disappeared for a few weeks yet. :cool:

Been to the nursery today and bought strawberry plants which I’m planting into troughs this year rather than in a seed bed, as all of the fruit rotted last year because of the wet…please let it be a touch drier this summer…:wink:

Been to the nursery today and bought strawberry plants which I’m planting into troughs this year rather than in a seed bed, as all of the fruit rotted last year because of the wet…please let it be a touch drier this summer.

Barry :slight_smile: I moved my strawberries into troughs in the autumn and they look ok :slight_smile: After last years disastrous summer they can’t do any worse.
I intent to move the troughs around the garden to take advantage of the sun .
My sister has some strawberries in hanging containers and they do really well.

This time last year I had planted my runner beans in doors ready for an early crop, I won’t be doing that this year :frowning:

Today I’ve been busy. I planted runner beans and french beans. I also made room on the second shelf in the greenhouse for my trays of seeds … so hopefully as soon as it’s warm enough, the geraniums, fuschias and other cuttings I took, can go out under a bit of cover and I can sow loads more seeds :smiley:
I’m not sure what to do with my strawberries this year :confused: I have small plants from last years runners and quite a few baskets - maybe I’ll try that too Meg.:wink:

I’m also extremely pleased that most of the cuttings of roses have taken - including a cutting of my mum and dads rose Schoolgirl, such a lovely colour.

Janela :slight_smile: you are optimistic planting the runner beans, I think it will take weeks for the ground to heat up ready to plant out. I am not going to plant mine till May this year.

Pleased to hear your rose cuttings have taken :-).

Thanks Meg, I’m thrilled with my roses, they are all shooting and hubby has decided where they are all going!
The runner beans are doing nowt, so I might be lucky :wink: with the timing.

Hubby raked the lawn with the electric scarifier (took his time but insisted on doing it :094:- he is now resting his back having taken painkillers :058:) I then cut it and we are pleased with the result.

It was lovely being able to spend time in the garden and we are both pleasantly tired and thinking of an early night :lol:

Decided to plant my runner bean seeds today although I won’t consider planting them out until the end of May.

We are going away tomorrow for a few days, so all of my veg seeds that have already germinated but not ready to go out yet have been well watered and brought into the house for safety’s sake, but the biggest worry this year I think is the lack of insects, both for pollination of the fruit and as food for the birds. Could be disastrous for some migratory species this spring such as swallows they say…:shock:

p.s. Heard the first cuckoo today in the forest…:slight_smile:

How lovely to hear a cuckoo Barry. It’s been a few years since we heard one, even though we are on the edge of the green belt.

Wow, how things have changed after a few days away. :shock:
My gooseberries are flowering, my plums have blossom on the lower branches and my tomatoes have their first truss appearing… how on earth does nature do that in just five days…:smiley:

No flowers on my gooseberries Barry :frowning: but my new greengage tree is full of blossom.
I know what you mean about how quickly everything has started showing signs of life and putting on growth.:shock: It’s quite exciting.

My runner beans have decided to germinate in the greenhouse and are looking really fit. The plum trees are full of blossom and although they are supposed to be self-fertile there do seem to be a few bees around to ensure pollination, so fingers crossed we should get a decent crop this year although, note to self, spray plum trees at blossom fall against that nasty little critter the plum sawfly otherwise all of your hopes may be dashed…:cool:

There are a few flowers on my gooseberry which the starlings are attacking…:twisted:
The strawberries are looking great in their containers…
The garlic is looking good…
Got the ground ready for the runner beans and the canes in, think I might plant them indoors soon…:slight_smile:

Over the last few years I’ve sown my runner beans in two lots spaced by about a month,that way the crop gets slightly staggered.