The everyday household task that youngsters struggle to do because of technology

Practical approach, but I have to have a clean sink and no dishes lying around. Another good thing about the dishwasher is that the kitchen is nice and tidy. I also have a problem having a washing up bowl in the sink. If used for the odd delicate items it has to go into the cupboard once dry.

I always think you then eat the washing up liquid residue.

2 Likes

@AnnieS Ok, so if you have to rinse the dishes first before loading the dishwasher, why not just add soap and wash them? (Genuine questionā€¦not being sarky) I donā€™t have a dishwasher, so does it get clogged up with food? Is there a filter on it to catch bits?

Hmm never thought of thatā€¦

Tea towels and dish cloths make me squirm, they can be bacteria traps. When I fill the dishwasher, I pop my scourer into a corner to wash if Iā€™ve used it

I think you are right, and knowing how to correctly fill and hygeinically maintain the dishwasher is a modern skill we should teach kids just as much as traditional washing up

2 Likes

Well the lack of a drainer is one. Having to use a tea towel which is then gathering germs.
Plus only some items are rinsed. Then thereā€™s the waste of washing up liquid when you have a dishwasher. Duplication of effort etc. Mainly the dishwasher gives dishes a gleaming shiny polish. You need a glass tea towel for that and they then need laundering and ironing. The list is endless really! :grinning:

1 Like

Well, yes, you must do. But I do think itā€™s the way a lot of U.K. people have always done it

1 Like

Iā€™ve got one called John

3 Likes

Iā€™ve even been known to rinse things that come out of the dishwasher if I think there is too much rinse aid! Not sure if true but I feel that maybe eating soap is not good for you.

1 Like

Donā€™t have a dishwasher and donā€™t really need one as john does most of the washing up. Sometimes we drain and sometimes use a tea towel.

All this talk of teatowel having bacteria, well to be honest itā€™s never caused me or John any ill effects if Iā€™ve used a tea towel.

1 Like

Only if you donā€™t wash them :rofl:

1 Like

Tea towels are the kitchen equivalent of pot-pourri in the living room. Has anyone ever tried to dust that awful germ laden mess?

I also put the washing up brushes/sponges into the dishwasher every so often. Another good reason to use this fabulous kitchen appliance!

I have heard of people cooking things in their dishwasher but thatā€™s just going rogue.

by hand? :grin: :wink:

1 Like

I think if you are drying off clean dishes with a tea towel, Iā€™m sure they are quite safeā€¦!

1 Like

probably boosts the immune system.

1 Like

Haha! No, I do use a machine for that :joy:

1 Like

aha! :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Waitā€¦what???

1 Like

Like Maree, I love my dishwasher. I do wash some crockery by hand though, items that canā€™t go in the dishwasher. Items too big as well. Delicate china etc, I even put pots & pans in the dishwasher, it gets them far cleaner than I can washing them by hand.

2 Likes

just an example of the crazy things people do here - I guess itā€™s good to know if your cooker breaks down

4 Likes