The end of phone calls

People especially young people don’t make phone calls any more .
They text or WhatsApp
Do you still make phone calls ?

I do like my landline and chat for up to an hour to my sister or friends . I text too but chatting is nice.

I dislike the way my text chat gets changed to a different word though . Yet predictive text is easier

Daily and without fail with my family. If its business orientated, that call will be backed up by a confirmation letter.

My brother in the UK and friends in Asia usually call me via Whatsapp then I call them back using my mobile phone service. The quality is generally better and I pay for the international service so why not use it?

I’ve never tried Whatsapp!

I do like emailing and texting in my old age.

I do Skype my boy in Aus every Sunday Morning

I’ve never been a great talker so I prefer to send messages. It’s very very rare that I make a call these days.

Not often….I saw this this morning and realised I only know two phone numbers now!
IMG_0130

2 Likes

I use my land line all the time, to ring friends & family. I do have a mobile phone but rarely use it. I’m forever recharging it, it holds a charge for about 5 minutes, it’s very basic.

I use the landline when speaking to my sons, sometimes several times a week. I also use it for any other calls I want to make. I have a mobile but only use it to send occasional texts. I take it out with me in case of emergencies too. I prefer the landline because I can hear what is being said - the mobile is quite echoey at times.

1 Like

I can hear my mobile better than landline.

I consider my mobile is mainly for emergency use. I can ring Mrs Fox to put the dinner on because I’m on my way home…
:nerd_face:
I avoid talking on the landline, I consider it the poor alternative to visiting someone and speaking face to face. I understand anyone who has relatives and friends abroad or a long way away using the phone or what’s app etc, to keep up-to-date, but there is nobody in my life that doesn’t live within a stones throw of my house. So I couldn’t care less if the whole communication network broke down tomorrow. I’d miss the forum, but I’d probably get a lot more jobs done and my garden would be the pride of Doncaster…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Our landline is virtually redundant. We only have one because of our broadband package, otherwise I would have it removed as we use our mobiles practically all the time. Always try to voice chat whenever I can, second to that is texting, where I know the other person may be busy or asking something simple and basic. I have a relative who has recently moved to Australia and given the time difference, we keep in contact using either Whatsapp or Instagram, simply because it’s more convenient.

Yeah… but you’d really miss the forum and Doncaster would be the land that time forgot… don’t do it Foxy!

1 Like

Ha Ha…My little village is the land that time forgot Chilli…
:sunglasses:
Call in sometime for a glass of mead…
:yum:

1 Like

I suppose the mobile signal varies between places. Or maybe my mobile is not a very good one - I’ve had it a good few years now. :relaxed:

I use the landline less and less. My brother phoned for a chat, and I’ve got a cousin who always rings at Christmas and my friend, sometimes if she’s trying to arrange something

It’s so hard getting through to people like the gas , council etc it’s usually easier to text, email or message

My children I only call over something urgent and on birthdays. We message/text/ etc all the time though, several times a day! I think it’s easier because people can reply when they’ve me got a minute, it’s not as intrusive as phoning

1 Like

It would be my pleasure Mr Fox!

1 Like

My mobile is just a couple of years old, mid to cheap range, cost me £6/month for loads of internet, calls & texts, I rarely take it anywhere. My hearing’s not good but the sound quality is much better than the home phone and I use it on speaker/hands free. It amplifies without distorting.

1 Like

I pulled the plug on my landline, which was a VOIP line, years ago.

The mobile phone bandwidth is far greater than the old copper network (which was only 300hz to 3khz) so sounds much clearer.

Mobile phone calls are so much cheaper than landline calls, I pay $230 (£115) a year for unlimited domestic and International calls I doubt a landline could come anywhere near that.

Even better the phone is with me at all times and serves as diary, shopping list, map, camera etc

I haven’t yet set it up to replace my credit and debit cards but that is not far away I think, then carrying a wallet could become a thing of the past but might be a step too far for me. My youngest son only carries his phone. and a $50 note.

I don’t wanna talk about it.

1 Like