The DIY Year That Was!

Hiya all,

We’ve had a year of DIY. Two tomboy girls together after losing the two males in our lives… SON in 2017 and HUBBY in 2022.

He and I had made a to-do list of things we were hoping to upgrade, change, replaced. So on and so forth. This humble flat was going to become our OAP Pad with our beloved daughter until she’d find her own love connection and create her own family.

We spend 3 months fixing the funeral, the paperwork and the accounts related. Granted I was rusty in my accounting just a bit but even though I’d shown hubby how to keep the books, he hadn’t…

So, we got a package delivered from Amazon, three days after he’d died. A beautiful 6 jets shower head with an wedding anniversary card for 1st June from hubby. It was sad, we cried so much but we had to install it.

That was easy to do and recently, I got a longer shower hose in order to reach the new bench from independent living agency plus the two handles they’ve installed.

Now, daughter and I are much safer taking a shower in the bath.

Then, I installed a wee bidet shower on the loo. Daughter finally relinquished her high bed and accepted the double bed we wanted for her. Another DIY job as it came in the smallest box I’d ever seen. Yup, it needed built up.

However, it was easy-peasy just following the Alphabet on the parts and one, two, three, bed, job done!

Later on found a new double mattress, once more in a small box. Wow, it was a laugh and a half when we put the burrito-style mattress unto to the base and opened up the bag… Whoosh!

It took a full 72 hours to expand to full thickness. The biggest DIY was going through every room and eliminate clothing, games, toys, stuffed animals and extra single bedding no longer required.

After giving all to SallyAnn, we took a break. Afterwards, we attacked the living room. All the furniture had been stuck in one corner after we moved in. You realise hubby was very ill but hiding it and his goals were to colour every room before he died.

So, thankfully to a wooden floor and light furniture, we shifted the lot, daughter rearranged the cabling behind the television and the other cabinets. So much more room now.

The futons needed a few slats replaced, found the pine wood, cut to size, added the varnish and got cheaply priced duvet covers to redecorate the futon mattresses. A floral black for colder months and a white with poppies for warmer ones.

In the summer that was so hot, we bought a DIY air conditioning unit, put it together and enjoyed cool icy air on these hot days.

Following that rearranging, we updated appliances. The 4 toasts toaster died, tried to fix it via YouTube video but gave up and bought a new two toasts one instead. Replaced the microwave cause after 10 years it wasn’t heating up much anymore.

The last biggies, were emptying the two refrigeration units and replacing with our new one 50/50.

On our list now, all that’s left is replacing two old TVs, scraping the peeling paint off the fence and setting the artificial grass carpet in our back garden and finally attacking the storage units outside and giving all windows frames a coat of fresh paint and trying to find a way to install the hanging flower baskets.

Yes, it’s been a year where we did so much by ourselves, but it helped us survive the crushing blow. Keeping busy was rejuvenating but the healing of our hearts continues…

PS if you’ve got tips and tricks on how to use a drill and Rawl plugs to hang things on walls, I’d be grateful.

4 Likes

It depends on the wall, is plaster over brick or a partition stud wall?

1 Like

Thanks @realspeed . It’s painted plaster over bricks.

Cheers!

Well done to you both, your husband and son would be proud of you :two_hearts::hugs:

2 Likes

Are you sure there aren’t any pipes or cables buried beneath the plaster? If unsure, then a good investment would be a pipe/cable tracer.

1 Like

I’ve a good idea of where these are, as I listened to what was said by the crew at housing.

I’ll have to dig into hubby’s toolbox to see if he had one. If not it’ll be a trip to B&Q lol!

Cheers!

1 Like

Very good advice and can save you from major problems. Another suggestion, for getting the drill into brick work, is a hammer drill. If you need to drill into masonry it really makes it easier.
Last idea - youtube is your friend for DIY. Ten minutes watching someone who knows what they are doing makes you realise what the internet was invented for.

2 Likes

Yup, I’ll be heading to YouTube for them videos. I don’t want to risk it for a biscuit. At least I know the electric cables run down into corners and along baseboards. The pipes for heating system are the same way.

I believe the wall area to out pics up is free and clear as I’ll have stuff to the right of the smoke alarm.

Cheers!

1 Like

Somebody that knows what they’re doing on YouTube??

1 Like

Yes! I’m amazed at how many clips there are for all sorts of things. Americans are particularly keen to share their know-how. But the clip that I loved was a west midlands bloke in his slippers taking everyone through the step by step process to swap out a water pump from his Smeg dishwasher. Which was my problem (broken water pump rather than wearing slippers). Same story for changing the saw chain on my Stihl chain saw - this time a proper red-neck in dungarees and a John Deer cap. Excellent work.

2 Likes

Wow, those are some undertakings, that you did, I took my hat off
to you shortly after I started to read your post, Supernatural, there
are few women who would take on a job like that.

Well done, to you both.

Mike

1 Like

Thanks @Mike!

As this is the seventh time I’d lost a loved one and only 6 where I’d learned what’s to be done after someone passes, I’d paid attention and took notes.

Sadly, I’ll say that I was kind of excluded (meaning my choices were disregarded) was when my beloved Papa died. I never got to keep his longbow and the signed hockey stick. Bummer!

However, thanks to the passed on organisational skills from both Gramps and Papa, I’m very OCD and wee bit ADHD lol. I make list and order the things in when, how and where.

Which reminds me, got to add on list dishes that are no longer in use, just taking space and gathering dust wobbles.

Cheers!

PS if long-term plans fall into place, there’s one I might buy as DIY kit, however, I’ll get someone professional to do the installation. I’ve too fresh memories of the Clyde flooding in from the loo as we weren’t told where the water mains was. Argh!:sweat_drops::droplet::ocean:

I recently watched a video about how to change a combination code to a safe and the next video was how to crack the code …yep, very informative😁

1 Like