The Crown: Cast defend criticism of Netflix show at London premiere

Stars of The Crown have defended the show after critics accused it of “crude sensationalism”.

The new series focuses on a turbulent decade for the royals in the 1990s.

High-profile figures, including Dame Judi Dench, had called for a disclaimer to be added to remind viewers scenes are imagined. In a letter to the Times, the veteran actress said Netflix “seems willing to blur the lines between historical accuracy and crude sensationalism”.

Former prime minister Sir John Major also described a scene, showing Prince Charles having a conversation with him about the Queen abdicating, as “malicious nonsense”.

Netflix later added the words “fictional dramatisation” to the trailer for the new series.

“I think it’s been misrepresented in the press and it’s a big fuss about nothing,” claimed Jonny Lee Miller, who plays Sir John in the programme.

The programme’s third actress to play the late Queen, Imelda Staunton, told the BBC the drama should be viewed as “still history” as it’s set 30 years ago. Imelda Staunton takes over from Olivia Colman and Claire Foy to play Queen Elizabeth II in her later reign

Speaking at an earlier press conference Jonathan Pryce, who plays Prince Philip, said: “People will gain a bit of comfort seeing her embodied again.” He told the BBC’s David Sillito that the series “sets out to to humanise the Royal Family and allow us to experience some of the emotion they had.”

The actress playing Diana, Elizabeth Debicki, said the script is “extremely empathetic to both camps” and claims “it’s fair to both sides”.

Dominic West, who has met the King working with charity The Prince’s Trust, said he “wouldn’t have done it” if he didn’t think the writing was fair. The character is “such a great part”, West said. “That’s really what actors live for and you can’t really turn it down because he’s an amazing character.”

Royal author Katie Nicholl told the BBC: “This is the start of King Charles III’s reign. I was told by a former member of staff that he always feared that his reign would be overshadowed by the spectre of Diana. The spectre of the past, and those fears, when you consider this series of the crown, are completely justified because there will be a whole demographic tuning into Netflix, particularly the younger generation who are not as familiar with the accuracy of this storyline.”

I agree with Dame Judi:

Sir John Major is not alone in his concerns that the latest series of The Crown will present an inaccurate and hurtful account of history. Indeed, the closer the drama comes to our present times, the more freely it seems willing to blur the lines between historical accuracy and crude sensationalism.

While many will recognise The Crown for the brilliant but fictionalised account of events that it is, I fear that a significant number of viewers, particularly overseas, may take its version of history as being wholly true. Given some of the wounding suggestions apparently contained in the new series — that King Charles plotted for his mother to abdicate, for example, or once suggested his mother’s parenting was so deficient that she might have deserved a jail sentence — this is both cruelly unjust to the individuals and damaging to the institution they represent.

No one is a greater believer in artistic freedom than I, but this cannot go unchallenged. Despite this week stating publicly that The Crown has always been a “fictionalised drama” the programme makers have resisted all calls for them to carry a disclaimer at the start of each episode.

I have no doubt that many of Generation Z regard such ‘biographical entertainments’ as documentaries.

1 Like

Think most of them are pretty clued up tbh Om :lol:

Well, if they watch (and believe) “The Crown” then their opinions are based on fantasy not fact … :man_shrugging:

If the young are less enthusiastic about the monarchy, history professor Heather Jones of University College London says this is alongside a lack of a clear distinction about how the royals are depicted.

She thinks the overall effect of The Crown on the young will be to “reinforce the mystique of the monarchy”, rather than undermine it. But she is worried that an entertainment series, a piece of creative scriptwriting, will get mixed up with the historical record.

“There is a real gap in historical knowledge, so that younger people often do assume that what they’re seeing in a historical drama is real,” says Prof Jones.

She points to war films, such as 1917 and Dunkirk, as other examples where she has found a lack of recognition that these were “engaging, entertaining, fictionalised versions of history”.

It’s outrageous. I can’t wait. :grin:

1 Like

Fact or fiction? who cares! :icon_wink:

Fiction is all we’ve got, and that includes what was in the gutter press at the time. I prefer the Netflix version.

Yeah, suppose fact is a bit boring.

I know a lot of Prince Philips Britannia jollies with a girl in every port are true . What happened onboard didn’t always stay
onboard.

It will be Meghan next …woohoo

I think The Crown should maybe have stopped after Season 4.
I indulged myself with a Netflix subscription during Lockdown and enjoyed watching the first 4 series in quick succession.
Of course we know it’s not all factual but the bare bones of events are there - the early series were an enjoyable bit of history drama and the later parts were a bit of nostalgia, living through events from my own youth.

Season 5 is coming into territory which is too sensitive and too recent for comfort. I know all the stories and gossip about all the failed marriages and relationships were in the public domain but do we really want to rake it all up again? I don’t think I do.
It was horrible enough living through all the gossip, scandalmongering and toe-curling tapes, interviews and paparazzi pics the first time round, when it was actually happening, so I won’t be watching this Season 5.
Anyway, I cancelled my Netflix subscription last month because I wasn’t using it, so I can’t get tempted to tune in.

I know what you mean … but I’ll be watching it anyway.

I wont. :grinning:

So, we decided last week to start ploughing our way through it. Wasn’t mightily impressed with episode 1, but thought maybe it’d get better. Started to watch episode 2 a few days later and gave up on it.

Ho hum, never mind.

We’ve been watching the latest over the past few days, all good, 50 episodes in all. I don’t know which bits … "blurred the lines between historical accuracy and crude sensationalism”, but who cares!

I watched the latest season purely because there was nothing else on. Such disappointing casting. I was trying to work out who one character was and it took me a couple of episodes to find out she was the Queen mother. Imelda Staunton as the Queen just made think of Dolores Umbridge in Harry Potter. Jonathan Pryce as Philip?

The first two seasons were fabulous but everything since has been disappointing.

1 Like

I thought he was the best and most convincing Philip yet.

1 Like