The Crocs are getting bigger

Recently a saltie nest was found 50 metres from a suburb south of Darwin which indicates that good nesting grounds are getting fewer because of an explosion in the croc population, From an estimated 3000 in the NT 50 years ago there are now 100000. Not only that because they are no longer hunted more are reaching maturity and their average size has increased from 2 to 3 metres to 3 to 4 metres long

This is a really interesting article about them.

As I have said elsewhere a few salties in the rivers and estuaries of the south of England would solve your illegal immigration problem in an instant.

2 Likes

50 mtrs from a suburb , cripes that would scare me . I watched a program on TV the other night and a young couple jumped into a beautiful lake ( australia) and I was worried about crocodiles , no way would I have swam in there

2 Likes

They are scary looking beasts

1 Like

I love Australia but never go in the water there what with Great Whites Box Jellyfish and Salties i will stick to the swimming pools true the locals can be scary but at least you have a chance of coming out alive .

That’s prolly why Mick Dundee claimed they ate all the sharks​:wink::grin::+1:

I have been in the Northern territories and done the Adelaide river trip where the crocs follow the boats and leap out of the water for food .
Some of them are huge Brutus is one of the worlds biggest and only has three legs .
The safety talk before you take the cruise is humorous but has a ring of truth about it .
life jackets are under the seat
In the case of the boat sinking take your life jacket throw it at the crocodiles and swim for your life !

2 Likes

A cheeky Kiwi had a go at our salties…

1 Like

I’ve seen clips on youtube of crocodiles found in swimming pools. Look carefully before you dive in, Muddy. :grinning:

After I watched Jaws I was wary before getting into the bath !

1 Like