The Cost of Your Shop 1970s

I believe it to of been approx ÂŁ13 -15 for me and MrR & our two kiddies

1 Like

You also have to ask what the wages were too. Personally I don’t remember it as being a particularly good time, and as a society we were nowhere near as affluent then as we are now in spite of current events… :thinking:

3 Likes

if you were to translate this to real time prices you would see how much better off we are these days, even during this difficult time.

2 Likes

Wages were obviously lower too…and house prices too.
I am living in the house i inherited from my parents.
It cost them ÂŁ2,500.
It is was valued at ÂŁ130,000 in the probate process.
I do remember my first teaching post in the early eighties was ÂŁ4,880 a year.

At the end of the 70’s when I left school and started work my take home pay for 5 days and a Saturday morning at time and a half was just short of £25

1 Like

In 1970 I was 19 years old…My only concern was beer, fags, snooker and wild women…who cared how much a joint of beef was…However, that was soon to change when I met Mrs Fox and was married in 1972…As a newly qualified fitter and turner I found a new job that allowed us to buy a house and in 1973 Mrs Fox produced a daughter (how did that happen) but the cost of the weekly shop was kept to a minimum and thanks to the frugality of Mrs fox…We now live a life of Riley…
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Every night down the snooker club?

2 Likes

I was nineteen in 1970 too @OldGreyFox , and I also married in 1972, New year’s day as it happens, but unfortunately it didn’t last, although it did produce two lovely daughters… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Must have been a good year for lovely daughters Barry…(I don’t tell her often enough though)
I’ve just celebrated 50 marvellous (cough cough) years with Mrs Fox Barry…

1 Like

Home from work, a quick bath and out for a few games of snooker before going darn the pub…It didn’t improve my game much though…I’m still crap!
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Did you have big hair and a wide tie?

1 Like

Judge for yourself Annie…Robert in his work clothes…

1 Like

Well there’s a hint of sideburns…

1 Like