The cost of medicines

Hi

I have had a big change of medicines recently, after the normal ones for my heart condition were not working.

There are restrictions on some of these medicines, some can only be prescribed by a Consultant.

Three of them are controlled drugs.

I have three consultants, and the interaction between the variety of the drugs and the constant change of dosage keeps a hospital pharmacist busy.

The consultants are heart, PTSD, and Neuropathic pain.

I searched the NHS website for the cost of these medicines and had something of a shock.

The daily ones cost just over £180 a day at the moment, which comes to £65,700 a year.

The one pill I take when I am having a serious event costs £240 a time.

I am certainly getting my moneys worth from the NHS.

My monthly prescription bag from Tesco would keep the Police very happy if they stopped a dealer with it.

1 Like

Yes, they are very expensive, I may look mine up also, see how much they cost.

I don’t think they would cost as much as yours, but they help keep us alive, blood thinners help stop us having a heart attack or stroke, the other one I’m on lowers blood pressure.

1 Like

More worrying is… the amount of drugs prescribed that are lying in our age group’s cupboards and never taken.

To me… that is scandalous and an utter waste of money. Some people have drugs in their cupboards that they have never taken and could supply a chemist shop!!

I’m so glad the only prescription I have is one I grow myself.

That’s an outrageous amount of money.

Hi

Bratti,

They keep me alive, nothing home grown would.

1 Like

Luckily I don’t need any prescribed medicine keeping me alive . Touch wood. I’ve never heard of prescriptions costing so much.

Thankfully the NHS pays

1 Like

This is not just drugs but tagged my comments here as seems relevant to this thread…
… Bill we have for Husbands recent Colonoscopy in France in a regular Hospital not a private one… 904.67 Euros…although we are covered by the Health Care System plus top up Insurance to cover any short falls…always shortfalls as around just 70% is only covered normally…
Fact is people do not know the cost of their procedures within the NHS unless you search it out…
Here we get to see the Bills and are responsible for storing our x-rays and reports…

Depends which Hospital you go to as how they collect the charges…Some require payment immediately some do not.
…Paperwork is essential as in prescriptions for all procedures, taxi ambulance, drugs…otherwise you pay in full…no question about that.

p.s. that was the cost within the Hospital, the taxi ambulance was compulsory this time, that was covered by ‘paperwork’ so he did not have to pay that out. …still would have claimed it back though within the week…Sometimes it’s a drag, but you get use to the system mainly, you have to…

1 Like