The Co-op Robots

My dog would bark at one and then try to mark it with his scent…

I suppose it would be dangerous if they went too fast on pedestrian paths though.
Mind you, they would get their a darn site quicker if people didnt keep deliberately blocking their path for amusement.

1 Like

I have never seen it, but I bet a lot of dogs bark or try to attack them, Annie.

1 Like

Quite so… this is why I think that they should be equipped with a death ray.

1 Like

He has been upset about drones in the park before. So something like this would really disturb pets IMO. But can you imagine if your food arrives in a container that has added animal “eau de cologne” or maybe a bit of bird droppings too!

1 Like

They don’t hold very much - I’ll stick to Sainsbury’s cheery chaps with their big refrigerated vans

1 Like

Good video, Pixie.
I was told the Co-op in Milton Keynes have been using them for quite a long time, but I think our Co-op has only had them for the last few weeks.
I must say, they are amusing little things, quite endearing in a way.

3 Likes

Yes, I thought that too, Tabs.

2 Likes

I wonder when Grant Shapps will decree they need number plates and insurance. I don’t think there’s any danger they’ll break any speed limits, though.

2 Likes

I liked the way it said ‘goodbye’ before trundling off again!

2 Likes

Presumably it’s more cost effective to send a little robo box thing round with a couple of bags than a van with a driver, who could thus focus on larger deliveries.

2 Likes

I assume it must be cost effective Dex, as more and more branches are getting them.
Wonder if other shops will start using them eventually, too?
Surely they couldn’t have loads of them all whizzing along the pavements though?
What with multiple robots and those wretched electric scooters as well, there wont be any safe path for pedestrians in the end! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We’ll be allocated pedestrian lanes, in between cycle lanes and wheeled robo-trolley lanes, with drop down barriers now and again which will stop us walking onto drone aircraft landing pads. Mind you, by that time we’ll be so atrophied, obese and bed ridden that there won’t actually be any pedestrians walking around anyway, nor any drivers since nobody will be able to afford the petrol.

3 Likes

Ya daft bugger. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I wonder if he/she can scream and shout and fight back if someone picks it up and kidnaps it.

Looks sweet … but I can’t see it catching on.
Maybe in cafes and restaurants but not outside.

Perhaps these little critters could double up as mobility scooters? Or mobility scooterists could be paid to transport supermarket freight to local buyers?

1 Like

Once they find a way to have them travel through snow and puddles, I’m getting one for the dog! :joy:

Can’t help but wonder what the cost of these things are for a retailer to buy, maintain and operate, and what their life expectancy is. Being old fashioned, I’d prefer to give a youngster a couple of quid and lend him/her a bike with a basket on it to make such small deliveries, which could have many other beneficial health, social and economic outcomes which I’m sure you can imagine.

2 Likes

Yes, same thought occured to me as well, Dex.

I wonder what happens if two meet on a narrow footpath? Is it a stalemate and they wait for ever for the other one to get out of the way?

2 Likes