The Big Brolly…a Giant Sunshade

590xauto
It’s a giant space parasol, says The New York Times, which some scientists want to erect between Earth and the sun, to block enough solar radiation to counter global warming. A team of Israeli scientists reckon that in order to block 2% of the sun’s rays – enough to cool the planet by 1.5C – the shade would have to measure around a million square miles, or roughly the size of Argentina. They are currently trying to raise between $10m and $20m to build a prototype covering a rather more manageable 100sq ft.
The Knowledge

1 Like

These fancy things will never come in between
You’re part of my entity, here for infinity
When the war has took its part
When the world has dealt its cards
If the hand is hard
Together we’ll mend your heart
Because

When the sun shines, we shine together
Told you I’ll be here forever
Said I’ll always be your friend
Took an oath, I’ma stick it out to the end
Now that it’s raining more than ever
Know that we’ll still have each other
You can stand under my umbrella
You can stand under my umbrella, ella, ella, eh, eh, eh
Under my umbrella, ella, ella, eh, eh, eh
Under my umbrella, ella, ella, eh, eh, eh
Under my umbrella, ella, ella, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh-eh

2 Likes

I’m very dubious about anything that would let wealthy, powerful countries block out the Sun for the world below, remember Mr Burn’s sun blocker in the Simpsons?

It could be used as a powerful weapon and threat, couldn’t it? And given what’s happening in Gaza, would you trust the Israelis or any other government with it?

2 Likes

That reminds me of what they did in the 2nd Highlander Film, they had erected a massive screen to save the ozone layer and controlled the weather artificially from a centre. By the end of the film the atmosphere had healed it’s self and was back as it once was.

1 Like

I’m going to sound thick and mention… space debris and all those satellites that are up there.

Then again I don’t understand all this hit-tech space stuff. I get nervous just reading about that Hadron Collider thingy.

2 Likes

Okay! so by now you should realise that all this man made climate change is just a hoax, right?
Listening to this bunch of ‘Flat Earth Scientists’ is just nonsense and just too stupid to consider :rofl: when you realise that we already have bloody great umbrellas shielding us from the sun…They are called ‘Clouds’
Who funds these crackpots? Probably the same people who fund wind turbines and EV’s.
And your solar panels with be no good if they build a great big sunshade…

2 Likes