The American Bully

I think breeders are a significant part of the problem.

They are very fashionable and seem friendly enough, but are very boisterous around smaller dogs.

I quite fancy a Japanese Spitz, looks similar but small and manageable.

A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said the victim, aged in his 40s, was bitten on the arm in Pasley Park, Walworth, just after 18:00 BST.

Police were called at about 11:40 BST on Thursday to reports the dog was out of control at the Baker Crescent home in Baddeley Green, Stoke-on-Trent.

The women were treated at the scene before being taken to hospital.

Staffordshire Police said in Thursday’s attack the animal was contained at the scene by officers and ordered to be destroyed “following liaison with its owners”.

The force added inquiries into the incident were ongoing.

West Midlands Ambulance Service confirmed it sent two ambulances and a paramedic to the address and took two female patients to Royal Stoke University Hospital for further treatment.

How many more attacks by these vicious dogs before they’re all “destroyed” … :017:

1 Like

A woman in our village has bought a Cane Corso dog. They are monstrous great dogs which can weigh up to 45 kg. They are also not good with small animals and they are fiercely protective of their owner. Said to be more powerful than a Rotweiller.

She is very small and slight and we don’t think she would be strong enough to hold it back if it went for someone. To make matters worse she lives in a very small house with a tiny garden so it’s not going to get much exercise or stimulation.

These type of dogs fix their eyes on you and follow your every movement.

1 Like

Her brain probably matches her statue .

Police were called to a back garden in Brisley in Norfolk just before 15:00 BST on Monday, but the dog escaped. Officers located the pet at the village primary school and took the decision to destroy it after being unable to find a vet to sedate it. The woman, in her 60s, was taken to hospital, but her injuries were not life threatening.

Norfolk Police said officers contacted multiple veterinary practices to sedate the dog, but none were able to attend. Due to the threat to the wider public, and with permission of the owners, the dog was destroyed by officers at about 16:46.

There will be more attacks by these vicious dogs until they are eliminated.

1 Like

There was a woman on an old forum I used to go on that used to go on about her Kangal dog

They are big and very protective of their owners and have the strongest bite of any dog in the world

I got why someone of our age would feel safer having a dog like that but I always thought it was a selfish thing to own one, because I doubt if she could have held it back if it did attack and it’s not really a suitable dog for an old lady

1 Like

I’ve never heard of them but, having completes a search, it seems that Kangals are a very different breed to “Bullies” and, indeed most other dogs.

Despite their size (up to 140lbs), it seems that they are more protective than aggressive, resorting to the latter only to those who threaten their “flock” … this is an interesting article:

Why Kangals are the best dogs and why you should NOT get one

The show dog:

The working dog:

This dog will kill a wolf and will barely be wounded - both fur and skin resist bites.

But as the article says, I think it’s unlikely and old lady would be able to wrestle with it and train it, and I doubt if she could hold it back if it did perceive a threat to her and attack. Or if it decide to kill another small animal

I just thought it was a selfish, silly choice

2 Likes

Indeed, it’s a bad choice for an old lady … :009:

1 Like

The women, one aged in her 30s and the other a teenager, are being treated for serious injuries.

The incident happened at a residential property in St John’s Park, Waterford, at about 13:00 local time on Friday.

The dog was seized by Waterford City & County Council’s dog warden and investigations are ongoing.

Leicestershire Police said the officer was bitten on his upper leg when he and a colleague attended an address in Ibstock at 16:40 BST on Thursday.

The officer was taken to hospital where he is undergoing treatment.

Police said the dog was seized from the address and was placed in secure kennels.

A second dog, a pit bull-type breed, was also removed from the property and is being kept in kennels, the force said.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed an attack had taken place and that an investigation was under way.

A spokesman said: 'Police were called at 17:42hrs on Friday, 20 October to Shoreditch Park, N1 following reports of a dog attacking another dog.

How many more “incidents” before Sunak’s “end of the year” ban … :angry:

1 Like

American bully XLs are being added to the list of banned dogs in England and Wales, making it illegal to own one without an exemption from 1 February next year.

From January the dogs will also have to be muzzled and on a lead in public.

There will be a longer deadline for owners to ensure the dogs are neutered and microchipped.

It follows a number of attacks involving the breed, although owners insist the dogs make lovable pets.

From 31 December 2023 it will be against the law to sell, abandon, breed from or give away an American bully XL, or have one in public without a lead or muzzle.

If your dog is less than one year old on 31 January 2024, it must be neutered by 31 December next year. If your dog is older than one year old on 31 January 2024, it must be neutered by 30 June.

Not soon enough … :angry:

1 Like

How this will be policed I don’t know .
All the breeders have to stop breeding these dogs .
Some will be illegal anyway ( travellers to be polite ) and dubious people from east Europe .
We have to bring back dog licenses which could be issued with the dogs microchip .

1 Like

Yesterday I heard a representative of the RSPCA on LBC pontificating about how ‘ any dog can bite etc etc and banning the breed is not the answer . It needs more support etc etc a
It was all total BS
I have little respect for the RSPCA and now I have less.

3 Likes

An incredibly naive approach from the RSPCA.
I really can’t comprehend where they’re coming from, surely they can’t be that out of touch with real life?

1 Like

Was it this stupid woman?

Speaking on BBC Radio Northampton, Dawn Smith from the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) in Northamptonshire, said not enough time had been spent on getting the new law right.

“It has been quite rushed and it is changing all the time,” she said.

“We’re still hopeful that there’ll be a judicial review in mid-January, but that’s after the deadline [for the start of the ban] of 31st December.”

We are incredibly disappointed with the decision to add the XL bully to this law. We, along with our partners at the Dog Control Coalition, want to keep everyone safe - but we believe this is not the best way to do so.

As suspected, the XL bully definition published by the UK Government is incredibly broad and we are extremely concerned about the number of healthy, much-loved dogs that will unnecessarily be swept up in this ban.

For information on XL bullies

For over 32 years, dogs have been judged as ‘dangerous’ based on how they look due to Breed Specific Legislation. That’s thousands of dogs whose behaviour poses no risk to public safety being put to sleep for no reason.

We believe focussing on the type of dog, rather than their individual actions, is a flawed and failing approach. Dog aggression is highly complex, and taking a breed-focused approach is fundamentally flawed.

I don’t know how reliable these statistics are but:

Dog Bite Statistics By Country

UK Dog Bite Statistics

• There are an estimated 12 million dogs in the UK.
  • 2 people died from dog bites in 2019.
  • Between 2013-2019, 22 people were killed by dogs.
  • Hospital admissions due to dog bites rose 17% in 2022. In 2021, 7424 people were admitted to hospital for dog bites. In 2022, 8655 were admitted.
  • Around 30 people per day needed to go to hospitals for dog bites between April and November 2022.
  • The dog breed is not listed on death certificates in fatal dog attacks.
  • A study of fatal dog attacks in Europe between 1995-2016 found that England ranked 4th in the top 5 countries, only behind Hungary, France and Romania.
  • Dog attack rates have risen 34% over the last 5 years – in 2018, there were 16,394 reports of out-of-control dogs causing injury. In 2022, this had risen to 21,918.

Why Is The UK Banning American XL Bully Dogs?

American XL Bully dogs are being banned in the UK as they have been involved in a number of high-profile attacks throughout 2023. This includes several deaths and attacks against children.

How Many People Have XL Bullies Killed?

Bully XLs have killed 11 people in the UK since 2021, with a further 3 deaths suspected to have been caused by the breed.

Dog Bite Hospitalisations In The UK

• Hospital admissions from dog bites have risen from 6.34 per 100,000 population in 1998 to 14.99 per 100,000 in 2018, an increase of more than 100%.
    • Healthcare costs have also increased – admission costs in 2018 were £25.1 million, with emergency admissions costing £45.7 million.
  • Between April-November 2022,
    • In the same period, attacks on 0-4 year-olds rose from 565 to 614.
    • Attacks on 10-14 year-olds rose from 306 to 378.
  • Since November 2021, 15 people have been killed in dog attacks (correct as of May 2023).

So, which are the breeds most likely to bite?

As stated, it’s tricky to deliver a definitive list, as many dog bites may be minor and are never reported to authorities or result in insurance claims. Insurance company Star has, however, come up with a list of dogs most likely to bite, based on figures from Merseyside Police.

1. Jack Russell

2. Staffordshire Bull Terrier

3. German Shepard

4. Rottweiler

5. Siberian Husky

Another insurance company, Many Pets, has also come up with a list, but with plenty of caveats. Its list is based on insurance claims, which may include bites to humans, but could also include fights between dogs, bites or attacks on cats or livestock, or damage to property, for example a dog running in the road and causing a car to swerve and crash.

However, in the 12-month period up to March 28, 2022, it found the dog breeds with the highest ration of third party claims to the number of that breed insured were:

1. Lurcher

2. Dogue de Bordeaux

3. Great Dane

4. Belgian Shepherd

5. American Bulldog

6. Rottweiler

7. Hungarian Vizla

8. Greyhound

9. Large Mongrel

10. Staffordshire Bull Terrier

But it also said that because larger, more powerful breeds had more potential for damage, it wasn’t surprising that they were more likely to be involved in third-party insurance claims. It did not mean they were the breeds most likely to bite or fight.

Now, that’s a pile of stats … and there are plenty more … :file_cabinet:

The obvious conclusion, though, is that dogs bred to be aggressive, small or large, will have that aggression built-in and a “trigger”, intentional or not, will release it. Dog ownership has grown, with aggressive dogs being on the “fashion” list, resulting in a surge in reported dog bite injuries. Obviously, this is cause for concern and needs addressing but few attacks result in deaths, except, it seems, those attacks by Bully XLs. IMO, for that risk alone, the breed needs to be exterminated.

1 Like

In my opinion it the owners that are culprits by and large.

I agree - untrained dogs will revert to their natural instincts, which may be herding, protecting, warning … or attacking, maiming, killing … or anywhere in between. AFAIK, there are now between 10,000 and 30,000 Bully XLs in the UK (1), many of them unregistered - there will, sadly, be more attacks, and even deaths, soon.

(1) XL bully ban could lead to more attacks at home - adviser - BBC News

By comparison, there are only 7000+ German Shepherds registered in the UK:

German Shepherds: registered number 2011-2022 | Statista.

A short tale (or tail). Max, my collie, was beautifully behaved. He kept sure where the grandkids were. And me…

One time we were walking home when a couple with their Pit Bulls came on the scene barking. . Max gave them that Collie stare. No barking, just that stare. He sent them on their way.

1 Like