The allotment

My friend is the expert is growing everything but she says that without me doing the digging and general looking after of the allotment, she would have to give it up.

It’s a 50-50 arrangement. She says what she wants me to do and I do it. I don’t mind :). My reward is in the produce.

The blueberries look delicious, great breakfast treat in muffins.

1 Like

These are tomatoes growing in the polytunnel on the allotment. I think they are trying to be pumpkins… :smiley:

tomatoes

1 Like

They’re huge Mart! :lol:

How big do you think they will they grow?

I don’t know Azz but think they have a way to go yet. It’s a wonder the weight of them hasn’t snapped the branch they are on.

1 Like

@mart I was going to say that … you’ll have to rest them on an upturned bucket. I’m surprised the skins haven’t split either. You must keep them well watered.
They remind me of them beef tomatoes you used to get.
You’ll be needing to fish out some delicious recipes for baked stuffed tomatoes.

1 Like

@Morticia - We have swayed the tomatoes around a bit and the branch seems quite sturdy. Maybe they grow stronger with that sort of tomato. I expect they might get picked soon anyway. I remember them being called beefsteak tomatoes. I might end up with a few of them. I don’t think they have as much taste as the cherry tomatoes that are grown in the tunnel.

1 Like

Lovely veg Mart, you can’t beat home-grown can you… :grinning:

1 Like

Unfortunately, the tomato plants in the allotment polytunnel have got tomato blight. Two of the plants had to be removed altogether and many of the leaves from the others cut off. Still quite a few tomatoes rescuable but there won’t be the same crop as in previous years.

My own tomatoes at home are showing no signs of it, although, as last year, they aren’t going red very quickly. I think due to the tunnel being a bit shaded. I might move it to a different place in the garden when the season is over.

1 Like

Today’s bean pick. We really are running out of people to give them to now, so many of the bigger ones will be chopped up for the compost heap. Sacriledge I know, but at least they will help fertilise the soil for the next year’s crops so not all wasted…

2 Likes

It is a good year for them alright. Our neighbours are being deluged with runner beans and courgettes. I think they might not open the door if they see me there with a load of greens in my arms. :grinning:

2 Likes

I’ve dried the onions now and have put them into store in the garage where they keep very well as it is cool, dry and dark… ish… It’s not been too bad a year for them but we lost a few early on with some sort of onion mite in some of the bulbs, which I had to pull up and destroy.

1 Like

They are muck spreading over the fields around here .
I love the smell ?
The be nothing loike the smell o the country!

You certainly know your onions, Barry! :grinning:

1 Like

@Mags Haha, you’re not wrong Mags… :drooling_face:

This is gorgeous. Love the pallets, but more importantly, would love to snag a few of those berries! :sunglasses:.

Flowers at the allotment …

allotment-2

allotment-1

allotment-3

allotment-4

allotment-5

allotment-6

1 Like

It is lovely to see that array of colour at an allotment, Mart …. stunning colours!

One chap there grows nothing but flowers on one of his plots. They were an absolute picture but past their best now. All helps to keep the bees coming there and pollenating the crops.

1 Like

Yes that’s true, good thinking on his part!