The allotment

The crowning glory on a pile of horse manure…

Blueberries ripening in the fruit tunnel…

2 Likes

Love your pics! Even the stinky mushroom! Its been too hot up here to visit mine during the day, I’ll need to go down tonight about 9 or something. Your blueberries look delicious :smiley:

I was there muckspreading cow manure over some of the ground this morning. That raised a sweat. :slight_smile: Just before I took the photo, I was eating blueberries straight from the bushes.

Edit: I should just mention handwashing and cleanliness procedures carried out.

Haha! I’m so glad you clarified that for me before I thought you were a right mucky pup! :smiley:

You could be growing mushrooms Mart :slight_smile:
I find farmyard muck hard to get hold of these days. The £1 a sack horse manure place hasn’t had any since lockdown.

Not a fan of blueberries too sweet for me. I have had one raspberry so far from the new canes.

One of the other allotmenteers knows a horse owner who will deliver the manure to us already bagged up.

I believe there are different types of Raspberries. One fruits earlier than the other. We had many of the early type bushes in the garden some years back but only one survives now. It has just finished giving us berries. Quite a few too considering it is only one bush.

On the other hand, the numerous bushes on the allotment aren’t ready to give fruit yet. Perhaps you have this later type Meg?

pp

…yes Mart :slight_smile: they are autumn fruiting raspberries 'primocanes ’ newly planted last spring so I am not really expecting much fruit this year.

Good blueberry pickings today, lots more on the bushes…

Edit: Had the first courgettes today too. Runner beans and French beans as well.

1 Like

From the allotment today…

1 Like

How exciting, Mart! I’m going tomorrow to get my courgettes, potatoes, and squash. Cannot wait! :smiley: Your carrots look lovely…mine didn’t happen this year at all :frowning:

Snap Mart :slight_smile: the little carrots are too good to cook so I am eating them raw , I am tired of runner beans already but enjoying the french beans …

Those veggies look good Mart. Well done.

There is something very satisfying about eating your own produce isn’t there.

Last night I had my own new potatoes, carrots and runner beans for tea and thoroughly enjoyed every mouthful. :slight_smile:

My friend is the expert is growing everything but she says that without me doing the digging and general looking after of the allotment, she would have to give it up.

It’s a 50-50 arrangement. She says what she wants me to do and I do it. I don’t mind :). My reward is in the produce.

The blueberries look delicious, great breakfast treat in muffins.

1 Like

These are tomatoes growing in the polytunnel on the allotment. I think they are trying to be pumpkins… :smiley:

tomatoes

1 Like

They’re huge Mart! :lol:

How big do you think they will they grow?

I don’t know Azz but think they have a way to go yet. It’s a wonder the weight of them hasn’t snapped the branch they are on.

1 Like

@mart I was going to say that … you’ll have to rest them on an upturned bucket. I’m surprised the skins haven’t split either. You must keep them well watered.
They remind me of them beef tomatoes you used to get.
You’ll be needing to fish out some delicious recipes for baked stuffed tomatoes.

1 Like

@Morticia - We have swayed the tomatoes around a bit and the branch seems quite sturdy. Maybe they grow stronger with that sort of tomato. I expect they might get picked soon anyway. I remember them being called beefsteak tomatoes. I might end up with a few of them. I don’t think they have as much taste as the cherry tomatoes that are grown in the tunnel.

1 Like

Lovely veg Mart, you can’t beat home-grown can you… :grinning:

1 Like