The 2022 Post Mortem!

So, if you take the year 2022 and examine it, given that it’s finally died a (for some of us) welcomed death, what would you say went…

WELL with it, and why?…and, what went…
WRONG with it?..and why?

Can we learn from mistakes, to make 2023 a much better year ?
Can we identify good things, and hope to build on those, for our 2023 ?

(It’s a nice, thought!)

I’ve my own personal experience of 2022 - a rather bad year and one I’m happy to put behind me. But a year that ended with me having to directly acknowledge that others had it worse.
Me: bit of an accident in May. led to a detached retina, required surgery (local anesthetic op to pop out the eye and insert a gas bubble) which meant 2 months of recovery and discomfort. Eye sight still far from perfect and possibly more medical effort needed. So felt sorry for myself until…
Other: local but not v close friend. Had skin cancer, so got chemo treatment. Resulted in hole in the stomach wall which combined with secondary cancer in his intestines meant multiple surgical procedures, a colostomy bag for the summer, and much discomfort. Now well into recovery, thank goodness, and no need for the bag anymore. But, as we agreed, he won the competition of “most pish year thus far”. Fair play.

2 Likes

It always pays to acknowledge a nod to a “Gotaway Lightly” year.

no postmortems here, just trust '23 will be a little more fun.

1 Like

Gawd, that’s terrible, Strathmore. I got off lightly, compared with that.

Yes you did.

Australia actually did pretty well overall in 2022.

The negatives - We have a cost of living crisis, we are miles behind in the change over to renewable energy, the economy will take a decade to be back in surplus and the “gap” for indigenous people has widened.

But on the other side of the ledger, households have roughly $260 billion in savings and compared to other nations the population is healthy and wealthy.

Australia is ranked 8th in the UN Human Development Index , has the second-highest amount of wealth per adult after Luxembourg, and the 13th-highest financial assets per capita.

Meanwhile the economy is growing at 5.9 per cent per annum and the unemployment rate is stuck at 3.4 per cent.

So it is a mixed bag but overall pretty positive at the moment, let’s hope 2023 is even better.

That’s a damned good year to build on. Nobody could keep Australians down, for long.

Yep Ian, you can’t deny it, Oz has a darn fine set of statisticians.

According to this evening’s news Australia’s reproduction rate has returned to the pre pandemic level of 1.66 babies per woman. Still not enough to replace the population (2.1) so immigrants are still needed.

Come on down…

We can send you some .
Unfortunately most are men .

Yes, they are coming via Rwanda, apparently.