The 2012/2013 Football Season - Fans Thread

Pretty dire stuff from The Imps. A goal down in only one minute, captain sent off along with theirs. Another weary battle to stay in this league, can’t get any worse. Well done the Hammers, Nolan getting a well deserved point. The Liverpool game seemed quite muted unsurprisingly, shame that was’nt a draw in the circumstances. Good to see appropriate behaviour, handsakes, and above all dignity to the 96. Not surprised Terry has slung it in with England.Surely the court case should have been the end of it, and now its all dragging on again. Got a feeling some dark forces(no pun intended!) are at work behind the scenes, demanding blood at all costs. The whole business is so depressing. Just like the weather at the moment!

Like you John I find it tragic that this is still going on.
It must be nearly 12 months since it all kicked off. I cannot see how even the FA - who are still firmly entrenched in the jurassic period - can think this is a good idea.

Their handling of the situation thus far has been less than adequate. It cost the resignation of the coach which while we may think was a good move, the timing most certainly was not.

I agree with Terry that his position as England captain was made untenable but his position in the squad was less than certain so it may be a blessing in disguise.

That does not negate the appalling behaviour of some at the games headquarters, instead of the witch hunt perhaps we should be seeking the head of David Bernstein.

Reminds me of that old adage “You can’t beat the system” but I do think that John Terry has got a point regarding the FA, whether or not he will be missed at International level is another thing, the whole sorry saga should have been put to bed a long long time ago, just creating more fodder for the drama seeking media trolls.
West Ham certainly left it late to snatch a point in their encounter with Sunderland, Matt Jarvis making a big difference when he came on as sub, must admit that Nolan’s very late goal to bring them level looked to be down to sloppy work in the Sunderland defence but was just reward for the home side plugging away until the very end.
Lincoln are in the bottom four of the Blue Square Prem after their 1-0 reversal at Tamworth, I agree with you John, not looking too good at all, hope it improves pretty soon for them.
What can I say about my favourites? The best I have seen them play so far this season, in fact for much of the first half they were indeed superior to their illustrious visitors and it was a real choker to lose to a penalty, the referee was a bit up and down, certainly not a “homer”. Playing with Ten men for a long period didn’t improve things but it seems to be all coming together although injuries to Agger and Kelly will not improve the outlook. So there we are, finishing the game with Nine men on the pitch but I do get the feeling that pretty soon some team is going to get a real good hiding from Liverpool, we will be climbing that table and that’s for sure.

Good result for the Imps beating Nuneaton 2-1 tonight at Sincil Bank. A late goal saw them take all three points despite missing a penalty in the 90th minute. This win lifts them out of the relegation zone into a much healthier 15th spot.

The Hammers were well and truly humbled 1-4 by a pretty ordinary Wigan side which gives you some idea of how bad we really were. I don’t mind in the least being dumped out of the league cup but it is the manner of the defeat that is galling. Why we enter these competitions and put out a team destined to lose is unfathomable. That said, it is still so disappinting to see even our second eleven so soundly beaten in defence and anywhere else on the ground.

Is Harry still unemployed? I only ask because…

However bad the result tonight, one event was to make it all worthwhile. Young Dylan Tombides, our 18 year old Australian striker who was only recently given the all-clear to resume his career after having fought cancer, came on to make his first team debut.A sight better than any other.

Well done Dylan, now keep it going my son.

Tomorrow night sees an interesting clash in the aforementioned league ( Capital One ) Cup. West Brom take on Liverpool at the Hawthorns. I cannot really see the Reds, who are the current holders and who rather like this competition, fielding a weakened team.

The Baggies have only ever got past the third round once in the last six tournaments but Steve Clarke may want to throw caution to the wind and have a real go at this one and they have not fared too badly off against the Reds in recent times.

A good one for the neutral.

Three points? Forgotten what they looked like! Can’t understand why teams don’t take the League Cup seriously. Sending out scratch teams is insulting to the competition, and the poor old fans who once again get the rough end. Hammer Harry? surely not George! He has more twists and turns than a corkscrew, Match of the Day, Bournemouth guru, possibly loads of adverts to come, playing Del Boy’s grandad in any future Fools & Horses, no way Jose! (or Pedro as Del would say). Good luck to Dylan, a rare good football story to savour. If Liverpool played as they did against Utd, I fear for the Baggies. Lets hope all clubs try and play decent squads, injuries permitting.

John, I don’t seriously think it would happen but we have to do something. The gruesome twosome, spitting cobra and BFS are killing our club.

I suppose Del would say, Pot Pourri!, boeuf a la mode but being a Peckham lad he would probably be a Charlton supporter. :cool:

R.I.P John Bond, you were not a great manager but you did some really good things and helped a lot of youngsters.

Yes, very sadly another light has gone out.

What can we say about Muffin ?, one of a kind, a decent man, forthright, loved a joke but was football through and through. He played for us from 1950 until 1966 making nearly 450 appearances which in itself is a feat not many have managed. He was probably one of the original academy players to be guided by such luminaries as Paynter, Fenton and Greenwood.

He was in good company with players like Malcolm Allison, Ken Brown, Noel Cantwell and Ronnie Boyce to name but a few. He kept his place in the side by hard work and not least because he was the best right back we have ever had. He was over 6’ tall but never looked out of place on the ball and possessed a fearsome shot hence his nickname. A perennial favourite with the die-hards of the chicken shed that is for certain. He lived very close to the Boleyn for most if not all his time with the Hammers and did a bit of coaching with a couple of other players at a nearby school.

John was in our side when we won the Second Division title in 1958 and also the 1964 FA Cup, he played in our triumphant 1965 Cup-Winners’ Cup competition.

After West Ham he went on to play for another three years at Torquay United then under the managership of former team-mate and ex Hammer, Frank O’Farrell.

His first season as a manager was in 1971 where he guided Bournemouth to promotion from the old Fourth Division and followed this up finishing third in Division Three. His next club Norwich saw him lead them back from relegation and to the 1975 League Cup final. He joined Manchester City and took them to the 1981 FA Cup final.

He had some pretty short stints at Burnley, Swansea, Birmingham, Shrewsbury and finally Witton Albion although he did have a brief fling with Wigan on the coaching/scouting front.

RIP Muffin, on me 'ead son.

A lovely decent man, well worth listening to. He was of his era, which sadly is no more in terms of integrity and honesty.One despairs of what he’s left behind in football at the moment, greed, cheating, lack of discipline, not very much indeed of which John stood for, may he rest in peace, god bless me old son.

I met him at a presentation do back in the early eighties, Alex, ( Malcolm Allison to most people) introduced him to me and said he had the best job in football, new manager of City. He did get City to Wembley and I never understood why he resigned. It was widely reported that they had a heated verbal scrap, more like handbags at ten paces. I found him very pleasant to talk to and knowledgeable, not just about football either.

Only four matches!! sounds like racism to me, surely it should have been eight to be fair to Suarez, unless it is because Terry is British.

Seems like one rule for some and another rule for others in that respect.

John, I notice that the Imps are on telly tonight, playing at Forest Green Rovers, that’s if you have access to the Premier Sports Channel, good luck to them anyway, K O is at 19.45 hrs.

Nice to see our lot registering a win at West Brom as they set out to defend the trophy that they won last season, a lot more positive performance and in some instances the football was superb, I think Brendan Rodgers is going to have a very nice dilemma to ponder on once the whole squad is back from injuries and suspensions, lot of plus performances from the new faces for me.

John, I notice that the Imps are on telly tonight, playing at Forest Green Rovers, that’s if you have access to the Premier Sports Channel, good luck to them anyway, K O is at 19.45 hrs.

Thanks for that info Bob, unfortunately I don’t have access to that particular channel, although I did check it out, and was surprised at the range of coverage of the lesser sports as they’re called on it. Good team Forest Green, we’ll be extremely lucky to get anything there. Your boys (and I do mean boys), played some great stuff against the Baggies, really pleased for Brendan Rogers, as most Football fans wish him well in that hot seat at Anfield.Strange to think a few years ago, most Imps fans were saying, when are we going to get out of this League(League Two)? Now its, hellfire, got to stay in the Blue Square Premier at all costs!

This weekends fixtures,

Tonight (Friday). Forest Green V Lincoln City Kick-off 19:45

Saturday. Norwich V Liverpool Kick-off 15:00

Monday. QPR V West Ham Kick-off 20:00

Unfortunately John your prediction was correct and the Imps were punished to the tune of 3-0, no comfort I know, but Forest Green are the league leaders.

Liverpool certainly put Norwich to the sword, winning at Carrow road 5-2 with that man Luis Suarez claiming a hat trick(he could have had more) plus Steven Gerrard and Nuri Sahin getting in on the act to give the Reds their first league win of the season.
Good luck for Monday Hammer, should be a fantastic atmosphere.

Good win for West Ham, 2-1 v QPR in the London derby encounter but my lot flopped at home yet again, this time to Udinese in the Europa League, losing 2-3 after leading 1-0 at half time, they are still not gelling and the defence was very poor, being unable to cope with sudden breaks by the visitors, back to the drawing board for everyone concerned, so disappointing this early in the season but we must never lose hope.

Bob, I’m sorry to say that this is my last post. I am not happy with the way the forum has become, apart from this great football thread. It seems we have attracted quite a few head-the-balls of late, and to be honest, I’ve had enough of all the bitterness and bile. I think you’ll find our old mate Hammer has jumped ship also for similar reasons. I wish you and the Reds all the best, been nice knowing you…John.

So sorry to hear that John, I don’t go in to many other threads on this forum so honestly cannot say that I was aware of any trouble anywhere, yes I do know about Hammer and now that you have also bailed out it is going to seem rather strange and maybe pointless trying to keep this thread going, what a terrible shame that anonymous nobodies have caused you so much trouble, good luck and best wishes for the future John.

John I have just seen this and I am shocked to hear you are quitting. I sincerely hope you will reconsider your decision.
I will really miss your keen sense of humour and your honest approach to everything. I wish you and your dear wife good health and happiness in the future, God bless you and many thanks for your company.:frowning:
Jimmy.

Hi Jimmy, nice to see that you are still around, thought that you had baled out as well :slight_smile: