The 2012/2013 Football Season - Fans Thread

The new season is nearly upon us once again and all leagues should be starting in the next two weeks or so.

I thought perhaps we would start the new thread a little early to talk over any transfers, general gossip and our individual hopes for our clubs fortunes this term. In fact anything and everything to do with our game.

May I wish every supporter and true fan of the game all the very best for the new season.

Good luck to everyone.

Football is simple but the hardest thing to do is playing simple football. Johan Cruyff.

Onward.

1 Like

thank goodness , that time soon passed then.I am a half hearted Manu fan, just because my Dad was a City Fan, and this year I am going to follow football (what did you say, Oh God No.)Joe is a Wigan fan. I also follow Liverpool.

Annie, there was I thinking you were Gooner.
As for Wigan, they have a brilliant manager in Martinez but Mr Whelan the owner is another matter.

Reading through some of the sports pages I happened on a piece in the Sun of all places, about Kriss Akabusi.

He is a season ticket holder at the Boleyn and I could not help but smile reflectively when reading his account of how he used to slide into the ground after the kick-off.

He had some good positive things to say including why we should cease our pursuit of Andy Carroll. I agree with Kriss that he ain’t all that and does not want to join us so let him do one.

I would not argue over much with his version of the best Hammers side.

Phil Parkes
     Ray Stewart  Bobby Moore  Alvin Martin  Julian Dicks

Billy Bonds Trevor Brooking Frank Lampard Clyde Best 

Paolo Di Canio  Tony Cottee

I like Kriss’s laugh.

Don’t know about anyone else but I personally am looking forward to the new season with anticipation and I sincerely hope that all you other football followers are in the same frame of mine even though we are being spoilt by the deeds of team GB in the olympics.

Oh yes Bob I am ready for the football and the Rugby too. Come on Jem are you still a cow and beef supporter or have you changed to a good team!

Liverpool playing at home tonight Annie in the Europa league second leg match, already 1-0 ahead so I am expecting a decent result, bye for now.

Just read the England Team Players, sound alright will miss Gerard of course and so will the team I think he really cared about the job.Good to see Terry has been dropped and Frank Lampared is still in.

It’s a friendly match Annie so it will give Roy Hodgson the chance to see whether or not some of the newcomers will fit the bill plus of course he can chop and change during the game, a good result would be handy but not essential at this time.
Watched Liverpool soundly beat a poor FC Gomel side 3-0 to progress further in the Europa competition on a 4-0 aggregate score and they now face Scottish side Hearts in a 2 legged qualifier.
As expected, Suarez ran rings round the Gomel defence and the most surprising thing was that he never got on the score sheet Gerrard, Johnson and new boy Borini supplied the goals in what was a nice little workout for the Anfield outfit.
Now Liverpool have signed Joe Allen from Swansea and the Welsh international looks set to become another Kop favourite.

Community Shield and other inane ramblings.

This fixture, to be played at Villa Park on Sunday sees the might of Manchester City take on Chelsea.

Spies out and about tell me that Carlos Tevez has returned to City leaner and fitter than he has ever been. We know that Roberto Mancini and his team told all their players what their individual weights should be and they were threatened with sanctions if they returned over the top, presumably with a couple of doughnuts inserted somewhere.

It is perhaps a warning to the Premier clubs that Carlos has decided to play a huge part in proceedings this term rather than golf.

Mancini himself is keyed up and he expects to lay a few ghosts to rest although he seems to have missed a couple of significant targets he is still chasing the Napoli striker Edinson Cavani.

As far as Chelsea are concerned, Mr Drogbaaaaa has vanished and the question must be will Fernando Torres step up to the plate and finally win the battle of Stamford Bridge. Di Matteo has already made it clear that he is still in the market for strikers.

Chelsea have already lost Drogba, Kalou and Malouda looks set to head for the exit but gained Marin and they are also said to be after Cavani.

Could be a decent match for the neutral.

After Cavini’s performance at the Olympics for Uruguay, you would have to question his commitment for Club and Country. Should be an interesting match, but it won’t tell you a lot about either side at this stage of the season. Its make or break for Torres, he just cannot have a season like last time. Its a bit of a distraction really after the wonderful Olympics we’ve just sat through.

Manchester City collected the first bit of silverware of the new season after managing to pip Chelsea 3-2 in the community shield show piece which was played at Villa Park. Fernando Torres scored for Chelsea who were reduced to 10 men for a large part of the game so nothing really to suggest that either of these two sides will walk all over the other teams in the Premiership this coming season. Yaya Toure, Samir Nazri and Carlos Tevez bagged the goals for the winners whilst Ryan Bertrand added one to Torres’s opener.

Liverpool had another good win when playing Bayer Leverkusen in a friendly match, old favourite Sami Hypia is now in charge of the German side and he got a great reception from the Kop but goals from Andy Carroll, Lucas Leva and young Sterling were enough to see off his team 3-1.
Not long to go now folks until the really serious stuff begins so I will wish all you football fans the best of luck for a great season for your various favourites.

New season gets underway tomorrow, good luck to everyone who follows the game and supports a particular club.

"His captain’s hand on his shoulder smote “Play up! play up! and play the game”.

Onward

Enjoy your games, lads!:smiley: Good luck to whichever team you support!

I don’t contribute to your thread but I do enjoy reading your friendly banter…:smiley:

Nice to know that you are keeping an eye on us Mags :slight_smile:
I think I read somewhere that Lincoln lost their first competitive match of the season, is that correct John?
Good luck tomorrow and Sunday to all fans. May the force be with you!

Not quite my dear sir. Won their first home game against Kiddiminster 1-0. At the moment at half time at Newport, they’re down 2-0. Keep forgetting the season’s now underway for us all. Good luck guys, lets hope its a season with a lot less grief than we had last.

Oh dear, crash bang wallop, what a start to the season for my favourites! losing 3-0 at West Brom and having Daniel Agger sent off, worst opening day defeat for Pool since 1937 apparently, what a gloomy opening result :frowning:
Glad Lincoln won the opening match John, pity they lost 2-1 today but I reckon our dear friend Hammer will have a wee smile on his face after his lads defeated Villa 1-0, a decent start to life back in the Prem :slight_smile:
Just watching Newcastle v Spurs on ESPN, half time and no score yet, the teams do look to be evenly matched.
Good luck everybody else, whoever you support.

Gor blimey guv, only back in the prem for a few minutes and we are fifth. !!!

Sorry guys, it won’t last and probably will be as high as we get so please excuse me while I milk it for all it’s worth.
I have noted with some degree of resentment that some of the alleged knowlegeable football press have us relegated already. As Mr Keegan once said " I would just love it if they come unstuck".

However, on to more important things, thanks to Mr Dean and a commonsense approach to the actual rules of the game, the goal that upset Mr Paul Lambert until he had actually seen it properly saw us take the points at the Boleyn. We have not enjoyed many victories against Villa so even better.

Sorry to hear about the Reds Bob, it sounded a really awful result but I have to confess to being pleased that Steve Clarke won his first game as manager.
I have long admired him as a decent bloke and a good coach. I will watch Motd with interest.

John, as for Lincoln, from what I read the Imps got their act together in the second half after a wigging in the interval from Dean Holdsworth. A bit of a shame they could not turn the possession into at least an equaliser.
Still, a long way to go my friend and I hope your team soon enjoys success.

Well done Hammer on your Premier League debut. Not surprised about the result, as Villa were dire last season, and don’t look that much greater on yesterday’s performance. Brilliant decision by Mike Dean, that the linesman missed. Lambert will always be a misery guts, makes Big Sam look like Mr Happy-go -lucky! Bob, Liverpool did’nt look like they were on song, so well played to the Baggies, always seem to get a good crowd behind them. My lot, yes got a goal back, but another struggle this season beckons.