The 1% Club - ITV

A new ITV quiz started last night at 8:30. In my opinion, this is one of the very best to be screened in recent years and we’ll be watching it again next Saturday evening. Lee Mack hosts.

1 Like

Yep. Watched it. Unbelievable how some people seems to know so little. Mind you, the final question did for me :confounded:

Congrats to the young lady who won it.

2 of the questions got us on the way through and the last one of course.

1 Like

Yep. I totally overthought the last question.

What’s good about it is that some of the questions seemed more IQ/Mensa based than the usual general knowledge quizzes.

Lee Mack was good too. Witty and understated.

Exactly what I said to V afterwards. I also thought that there was a little bit of Only Connect in there too.

That cross-over diagram question = 9, = 1, = ? got me good and proper. Once-upon-a-time when I did a MENSA test paper I failed most of that sort of spacial recognition type questions. I’ve hated them ever since.

1 Like

My career involved setting pupils lateral thinking problems at times to help them work “outside the box”. So I’ve seen the sort of questions on there before (and indeed recognised the one about the lines crossing as one pretty much identical to one I’d given some kids in the past). Thus my ability to get that particular set of questions was based on luck/experience rather than intellect.

If anyone fancies trying some cheeky little monkey geometry questions which don’t need much deep maths knowledge (but does need some, obviously) then I recommend Geometry Snacks published by Tarquin. This company has many other lovely publications which if you have school age grandchildren might be useful in terms of expanding maths repertoire beyond the mundanity of the classroom. For the record, neither do nor anyone I know has a financial interest in this company and the recommendation is purely altruistic.

I got down to final 30 and could have kicked myself as then answer mouse was so easy and dont know why got it wrong

I didn’t know about this, but it sounds good - will be looking out for future episodes! Is it weekly?

What age group(s) are these books directed at Melgal? I’m asking because our oldest great-niece loves maths - she’s just turned 8.

V beat me to the answer for this one. As soon as the pictures came on screen, she shouted “mouse” - I was a few seconds behind her.

I think it’s better than most of the current crop of TV quiz shows. I believe it’s weekly, Saturday evening 8:30 ITV1. Last Saturday’s is available to download on ITV’s hub.

1 Like

I shall have a look on catch up, thanks.

1 Like

I’m watching on catch up, the only thing is Lee keeps saying who got the question right, its who got the answer right.

Just watched my recording of this. Embarrassingly I failed about 2/3rds of the way through, and only now realised, while thinking about my answer, why it was wrong! No, not confessing which one.

So pleased for Tamzin, she played brilliantly and earned every penny. Well done to her. I was in tears. Like Lee, I watched her closely and thought…she’s got it!

Don’t be embarrassed, there were some bluddy tuff questions on the show. I think it was that approach that made it most appealing to us.

It was a question that I got wrong, and should have thought about it more.

Is this new programme only on once a week?

Yes, Saturday evening 8:30pm ITV1.

Ah, thankyou Percy. :+1: