That gate.....thing

The gate. We have a very clear sign on our front gate. We just keep it to keep the dog from wandering off just in case. The delivery people know Max and love him to bits. Except today some clearlt can’t read… How hard can it it be to shut the gate

1 Like

Probably on their phone.I’m surprised anyone gets back home in one piece these days.

2 Likes

That could be. The couple across the road from is has a “Beware of the dogs”. I was avoiding that - I didn’t want to see our dog as menacing. I may have to review that notice.

Yes,the important thing is the safety of your dog.

1 Like

I deliver to a house who don’t have a dog, I won’t quantify the signage I will photo it next week, you won’t believe the over the top.

At least they left the gate in place.

Some years ago, I returned from holiday to find the wrought iron gates from the entrance to my driveway had disappeared - someone had just lifted them off their hinges and stolen them! :anguished:

I have never bothered to replace them.
I don’t have any pets to worry about them escaping - but other people’s dogs sometimes wander into my garden through the driveway and leave unwanted “presents” on my lawn.

You won’t believe how many hand crafted requests are posted on this property to close the small wooden gate.

You could try and personalize it a bit to appeal to their better nature.
“Please close the gate.Max lives here” Sort of thing.

Put a spring on the gate so it closes by itself. Problem solved, no need for even a sign.

3 Likes

Seen this: Dog bites first, we ask questions. LEAVE THE GATE SHUT, POLITE WARNING.

Well, yes but there are four sections one of which is the gate.

Many don’t know that it is illegal to put on the front entrance that indicates a dog is being used as a weapon, such as “beware of the dog” or" this dog bites".

[quote=“realspeed, post:12, topic:95790, full:true”]
Many don’t know that it is illegal to put on the front entrance that indicates a dog is being used as a weapon, such as “beware of the dog” or" this dog bites".[/quote]

That’s exactly why our notice is neutral in that respect.

What about fitting a self-closing return spring?
Heavy Duty Gate Spring Zinc Plated 254mm | Toolstation

There are four sections. Three are steel rods on the ground that can be moved for large objects. There is one section for the gate hinge. A return spring is not really conducive for this arrangement.

1 Like

The gate…

Found the photo, what would drive you to decorate your front door like this?

This is a strange life.

Not a lot. Anyway the notice was on the gate, not the door. The drivery should have closed it when he delivered his package. He left it wide open. Fortunately I told Max to come back in after I closed the gate.

See, my attitude is simple, and a lot don’t like it but, it is what it is, if I approach a property and the gate is open, I exit and leave it in that state, if it is closed I close it, don’t need no instructions, there is one exception, the gate is open when I approach, and a dog barks, I close the gate on exit, I would not want to be responsible for a dog escaping the family house finding it’s way out into the open, I don’t need folks signs, comprende.