Thai Coconut milk - you might be supporting cruelty

Does anyone here buy coconut milk?

Personally I don’t use it, but for anyone who does, you might change your mind if you saw the cruelty involved in obtaining it.

Young monkeys are taken from the wild and trained to pick the coconuts for humans.
This on its own might seem quite an enjoyable job, climbing trees all day, but it is how they are kept while not working that is the issue.

They are chained to objects by the neck all their life.
Some have their teeth pulled out. Some end up going mental.

Humans and their cruelty yet again.

https://investigations.peta.org/monkeys-abused-coconut-milk

1 Like

I didn’t click the link Mup’s because I don’t want to be saddened by it. I used to drink coconut milk but switched to regular almond or cashew nut milk a couple of years ago. I sincerely hope no animals are used to collect them :frowning:

How do you manage to find such articles on animal abuse?
Do you look for the articles or just happen to stumble upon them?
I refuse to look at the link.

Hello Bratti, no I certainly don’t go looking for horrid articles!
It happened to be in my newspaper a few days ago, although not with the link.

I abhor cruelty Bratti, and I understand if you don’t want to see the link. Other posters put links up which I don’t want to look at too, so I can imagine how you feel.

Part of me though, thinks the more people who close their eyes to it, the longer it will go on.
This is why I am saying don’t buy the milk.

Sorry if I have upset you.

I am quite happy for the Mods to remove the thread if they think it necessary.

Have you ever tried the ‘Oatie’ milk, Pixie?
I found it surprisingly pleasant. :slight_smile:

I have Mups…and its nice for cereal and smoothies but add it to a hot drink like coffee & tea and it goes yucky. I made my own from oats and a muslin cloth for about two weeks until I got fed up with the faffing! :smiley:

Really? That’s interesting, I didn’t know that.

Yeah, it goes a bit gloopy. The oat residue must thicken like porridge…at least that how it seems to me. Not the best idea I ever had!

No, I can’t look at the link either. So no coconut milk from now on, and I can’t buy almond milk either because of the shockingly high death rate of the bees that are rented out to the Californian almond growers. The intensive almond farming, using pesticides, is killing the bees in huge numbers. Described by one scientists as ‘like sending the bees to war. Many don’t come back.’ :cry:

A link for anyone who can bear to read about it: 'Like sending bees to war': the deadly truth behind your almond milk obsession | Bees | The Guardian

Thankyou Bathsheba, I had no idea.

I believe that varroa mite is lethal to bees.

Oh lordy Sheba!! you are kidding. I never knew that about bees…Right well, not having that then. Why must we exploit innocent animals for our own gain - its disgusting :frowning:

I hate the way some humans think they have the right to use and abuse animals.

Yes. You’re not alone.

I don’t agree with some of the more extreme actions the Animal Rights people use - but I do agree with their principles.

I would be interested to know if this involves ALL coconut milk or whether it is certain brands. We sell quite a lot of it but I am happy to tell people the truth behind it if it involves the brands we sell.

Yes I’d be interested to know that too Longdogs. Is it the cartons of coconut milk, sold as a substitute for dairy milk? Or is the tins of coconut milk, the 100% stuff that is used to flavour curries and so on? Or maybe both… Oh lord, and I love the tinned stuff in my curries :cry:

Shocking isn’t it? Mankind thinks it’s the superior species on this planet. It’s not, it’s just the dominant species, and as such thinks it can appallingly mistreat all other life for its own benefit. It makes me so ashamed.

It was in the paper which brands it was, I will try and find the article again.

Spot on Sheba, that is exactly how I feel.
Big difference isn’t there.
Well said. :023:

Sainsbury’s have said they will withdraw it from sale:-D:-D