Texting on mobile phones

Not when cyclists are allowed to share the pavement!

Went out to dinner at a good restaurant last week .Near table to us was an older couple with their adult daughter . All three were on their phones the entire time barely said a word only to order .Another thing is no one complains about children in restaurants anymore , they all sit silent as the lambs glued to their phones.

2 Likes

The way some people walk around with their mobile on full display just waiting for some ‘no-good’ to snatch and run off with. Mobiles can cost from about £200 up to £1,000, the police advise not to have a mobile on display but still there are hundreds of people to be seen on any high street doing just that!

It’s beyond me, I often wonder if insurance companies pay out in these cases if the worst happens?
:thinking: :grinning:

and that’s a good restaurant!

I guess they were avoiding one another and though mobiles an acceptable distraction.

'tis grim up north

Yes, no doubt that’s true. I don’t expect mobile phone use differs much across the country. Other than deprived areas where there are very poor people living, even so some of them manage to drink, smoke and have mobile phones.
:roll_eyes: :grinning:

I agree with that, Baz, same as I see no end of people walking about with half their phone sticking out the back pocket of their jeans.

4 Likes

What as that got to do with anything. I live in a so-called "deprived area I smoke,drink and I have a mobile but I don’t go around go around nicking things as you are inferring

@wishbone I was NOT inferring that people in deprived areas ‘go around nicking things’. What I actually wrote was and I quote “even so some of them manage to drink, smoke and have mobile phones.”

The emphasis was on owning mobile phones and nothing whatsoever about anyone ‘nicking things’.

well it certainly sounded like that to me.

Oh and another thing that happens to me is when I’m watching TV and I hear the beep beep of a phone or the ring ring I get off the sofa pick up my phone only to find it’s the mobile on the TV .

So many sound alike .

Doh !

2 Likes

Sorry you took it that way, I don’t believe I could have been any more explicit as to what was meant. Nowhere did I mention anything about poor people living in deprived areas ‘nicking things’. That is something I would not do anyway, there would be no reason for me to state that in the context of mobile phone use.

OK lets just forget it then

If people have trouble typing an SMS why not use speech to text?

1 Like

i love messaging no rush to answer and can check you dont say wrong thing im a fan of it

It’s the speed of the thumbs that fascinates me. I’ve tried but l nearly drop my phone! I sometimes use the microphone and it writes the text out for me.
I have to check the text first before l send it as you never know what it’s going to type!!

I always wonder why some of the street mobile phone users, hold their phone high, front facing upwards with their finger and thumb. Then keep it tilted backwards to speak.

I had to stop the other day on the cycle track and wait for a man texting on his phone. He was walking towards me and I could tell he was completely oblivious to anything but his phone. I just stopped and waited until he got right up to me and then nearly jumped out of his skin a split second before he would have walked right into me. So I think there’s a lot to be said for standing still while texting.

1 Like

I wonder how many phone addicts text whilst on the karzy.

I don’t know, but I’m not one of them. I only use my phone as a phone, and we are not inseperable.

2 Likes

I like text because sometimes I dont want a long conversation on the home phone with someone I just want to say whatever short and sweet , if I ring they want to talk and talk . A text is quick .

I have a friend who will text and say “hi you ok” and I know shes bored and really wants an hour long chit chat on the home phone so i will text back and say " yep I’m fine but busy " .

So texting has it’s good points

1 Like