Texting on mobile phones

Watching people is good fun and recently I’ve noticed that when an oldie is texting or reading a text on their mobile phone they stop and stand still wherever they are , in the street in the supermarket they just stand still and squint at the phone and if texting back they use one finger to type . Now the youngsters ive observed walk with phone in one or both hands and continue walking and texting but using their thumbs really quickly.

But it’s the way an oldie just stops the moment it beeps , reads it , texts a reply with one finger slowly and doesn’t move till they have pressed send

6 Likes

I’d defy any youngster to text using both hands on my little Nokia. It’s all I can do to manage with one :wink:

2 Likes

I challenge anyone to Text whilst riding a bike. :grin:

1 Like

Yes this special power is beyond me. Although, I usually use speech to text. Most of the time I just call them back. It’s quicker on my end. :grinning:

2 Likes

I started to notice this when I was in town recently and old people were just standing and staring at their phone and it was then I realised I’m just as guilty. So next time your out and your phone beeps with a text , notice if you stop and stand while reading it ?

2 Likes

I agree it’s funny to watch people texting :grin:
I taught myself to text the youngsters’ way, turn the phone sideways, hold it in the fingers of your hands and use the thumbs, far far easier once you’ve mastered it.
One lady I know uses her little finger to text, it looks so funny!! (but I mustn’t tell her :mask:)

2 Likes

I don’t text when i’m out - unless its urgent that I reply there and then. I do, however, duck into a doorway to read one if it comes through, because I don’t want to be in anyone’s way if I stop in the pavement. SO many people just stop dead to read/speak…or worse, wander far too close to me, not paying attention. :angry: :iphone:

1 Like

I find the screens on mobile far too small to text. The problem is that I am a trained keyboard operator so I touch-type. Not looking at the keys means the qwerty keyboard on the mobile is totally alien to me, I just don’t know where the stupid keys are!

When at home I can type an e-mail message on the laptop, which is linked to the mobile, pick it up as a Draft on there, then copy and paste it into a text far, far quicker than trying to directly send a text on the mobile. The added plus is that there are no errors in it either, with texting I cannot do any words without errors!

Typing Like A Maniac Smiley

1 Like

my phone has a split keyboard when sideways … too much for me.

My mobile, an iPhone, is admittedly easier to use when turned sideways as the keyboard is larger but even so …

That split keyboard, as shown on your Samsung, would be the end – absolutely impossible for me to use while still retaining my sanity!

Super Angry Smiley Smiley

1 Like

I rarely use a mobile phone and never use text. I use email for correspondence.

1 Like

I hate the tiny keyboards that come with phones. I always go to their store and download a bigger classic keyboard. Much easier to use.

1 Like

I suffer from arthritis in my hands and can barely hold a phone let alone text on one

1 Like

88rnbi18qy861

They should have called a textphone.

1 Like

What amazes me is that so much work went into developing a device that allows to verbally communicate over vast distances. Little did they we know we didn’t want to talk to each other, just pass notes like we’re in class. I really don’t get in depth conversations in text. Brief messages yeah, but for an extended communication I think it’s silly.

2 Likes

I can understand that. We are getting older I guess. I just don’t want to text anything. I don’t talk on the phone much either. - my hearing isn’t great. It least my vision is fine good!

2 Likes

I know that even if you delete text they can recover them. Mine would be boring Amazon texting me, Grubhub (don’t know if you have that over the pond) and text letting me know to pay bills. That’s about it. My friends know me and just call.

What I like about texts are those from my doc. I always receive one the afternoon before an appointment to remind me of the time :+1: Tis the same with my area hospital too.

1 Like

That is surprising isn’t it, now it seems as if a lot of the younger generation are no longer speaking much either. That is now being taken over by communicating with one another on their devices, sometimes even when standing next to one another or in the same room. Often the closest they get to talking is the odd grunt or two.

Those same members of ‘the younger generation’ inform me that texts are for very brief messages, using smileys, which often take the place of some words. Real words and their meanings are very difficult to understand as they don’t use many. E-mails are now supposed to be very brief also, it doesn’t matter that e-mails took the place of letters, you know sheet(s) paper on which a pen is used to write words, but long e-mails are now frowned upon.

Life as we know it today is going to be very strange in the next 25-35 years or so. If it even continues to exist at all that is!
:thinking: :grinning:

1 Like

Shame is most can’t spell and have no idea how to use punctuation.

Damn shame most have never read something that wasn’t on a screen. A book, what?

1 Like