Testing a Home phone

Just be careful that you don’t catch an STD.

Do the fakers ever leave a message Art?

I have always known about 141 for dialling from a landline, but I have only recently discovered it works from a mobile too.
You have to block it for each call though, but if its a permanent block we want it can be done from your phone’s ‘Settings’ apparently.

1 Like

Oooh I didn’t know that, Mups, thanks…:+1: I don’t actually have a landline now…I mean a house phone attached to a landline. I just realised how odd that is!

If you’re ex directory …I am …no need to use 141 on a homepnone call .
Can’t think of anyone I’d call on my mobile but didn’t want them to know my number … but wait on … give me a moment . :wink:

Zuleiker, are you sure about the ex directory bit?
I am ex dir too, have been for years, but my number shows when I dial out.
I wonder if it might be according to your network?

Found this too:

A majority of ex-directory customers withhold their number to maintain their privacy, or the caller may simply not wish to receive a return call. You might think that asking to go ex directory your number will automatically be with held.

Mups ,yes you’re correct ex directory only means you’re not listed .
zYou have to register that you want " The caller withheld their number " automated voice with your service provider ,…when the person you’re calling sees it on their Caller display or have missed your call .
It will say …in my case … " You were called today at 22:25., the caller withheld their number "

Ah, I see now. I thought you meant it was automatically blocked if we are ex-directory. :slightly_smiling_face:

It is surprising since the advent of mobile phones the number of people that won’t answer “Private Number” calls.

I would have thought it the norm now. None of my kids have never had a landline phone (or number) the only thing that comes along the fibre is their internet. They rely entirely on their mobile for phone calls.

Even though my internet provider supplies a free VOIP phone line I never use it and also rely entirely on my mobile.

1 Like

It is the norm I suppose, just not for me…I always had a house phone up until a few months ago. And even though it was barely used, I still feel a bit nostalgic. :frowning_face:

1 Like

I wouldn’t like to rely on just a mobile phone .
A few weeks back EE went down in a lot of places length and breadth of the country . I was suddenly without service on one of my mobiles . My other mobile was with EE but wasn’t affected . The hours I spent doing " live chat" online and on my other mobile doesn’t bear thinking about I was told all manner of excuses including why one phone was picking up the signal from the mast nearest to me but the other one wasn’t. This went on for two weeks and included them sending me new SIM and eventually a phone that would pick up 5G . Sure enough it did but that meant I had a number change which I didn’t want .
In our Facebook Community page I noticed other people complaining they also were without a signal and one person mentioned she was quitting EE and going with giffgaff and moreover you could take your old number with you . So that’s what I did and I was up and running again soon as I got their SIM .
But being without a mobile if you only have the one and you don’t have a home phone ? What would you do ?

Yes I’m the same I’ve all my family and friends on caller display.
It’s nice to know who’s calling before answering .
If I don’t recognise the number calling I don’t answer … to many scammers out there.

Zuleika, Only if they are automated messages.

There’s always the public call box! All domestic calls from public phones are now free - just like your mobile. Very handy when you are travelling and have no signal from your provider.

Do you still have public phones boxes over there, Bruce? I haven’t seen one in years! :astonished:

Yep, Telstra has to provide them the Minister tells them where. As I say very handy in the bush.

1 Like

I was thinking inside the home Bruce not outdoors. A mobile phone without a signal for days for whatever reason …one such I explained up thread …a mass outage over the UK … is absolutely no use .