Tesla sales hit £1billion in Britain in 2020

This is from The Times, so apologies to those that don’t have access.

"…. the UK distributor of the cars made on the US west coast, show revenues of £1.14 billion in 2020.

On that the company reported a pre-tax profit of £14.5 million, up from £5.1 million in 2019 when revenues were £559 million. It paid tax of £2.7 million in 2020.

Although the accounts do not give any details on the volumes of cars it shifted, that would be consistent with sales of more than 20,000 in the year for vehicles that range in price from £42,000 to more than £80,000."

That’s a heck of alot of expensive electric cars at a time when the country was seeing Covid restrictions for most of the year.

1 Like

Wow - that’s insane!

But I personally aren’t interested in a self driving car - I’m a tech person, but still, when it comes to things like that I’d rather be in control myself :lol:

1 Like

When UK car sales overall dropped by around 15% in 2020, such a rise and in such expensive cars too is indeed a bit crazy.

I know what you mean about wanting to be in control, but even in your average new car more and more of that control is being taken away,
Sometimes subtly, and sometimes not so.
Tyre pressure monitoring systems make it nigh-on impossible to reduce tyre air pressure which makes driving in snow & ice safer for example and many modern cars have camera systems which warn us not only of speed limits but of when we’re in danger of straying out of lane.

Soon we will all be passengers, with all the fun of being in control ourselves completely removed.
It will be interesting to see how that really affects road safety statistics.

1 Like

I’ve come back to this thread because the Tesla Model 3 was the best-selling car in the UK in September.
At a time when new car sales have been struggling and were low in number and since the cheapest of these is over £42k there must be more money about than some people think.

@Zaphod , There is plenty of money about for sure !!
Trouble is, it’s owned by the banks ??
Those figures only mean people are further in debt !!
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

I would only ever consider an all-electric car if the supplier arranged and paid for a new electric supply cable from the road right into my property. My present domestic supply would not cope with my present peak connected load AND a fast charge electric car outlet socket.