Tesco reducing product lines

Our store looks very depleted, told they were cutting down on some lines, while we are cutting back to keep our bill at an affordable amount, prices are still rising.

What did they expect, essentials come first and we simply will not buy anything that we think is overpriced.

2 Likes

Youā€™d think Marks and Spencerā€™s would be putting their prices up but their own brand block butter is Ā£1.75. Other stores such as Tesco are charging Ā£2.15 for their own brand block butter.

My fave cereal has been out of stock now for weeks! Was wondering if it was a euphemism for ā€˜this product will not be coming backā€™.

1 Like

Same here. Insiders say itā€™s to do with brand manufacturers demanding higher prices and supermarket chains refusing and promoting their own labels instead.

@Artangel thanks will try online as it is just too much hassle to go into town shop, which is not very large.

Ā£3.25 for product that was Ā£2.70 a few weeks ago. Ā£!! that.

Tesco is driving me crazy, every time I go in there thereā€™s something else I canā€™t get. Then they have the cheek to complain their sales are dropping. Iā€™m having to buy in bulk online these days to get the things I need/want. :rage::rage::rage:

Tesco started reducing their choice quite a while back. Last year I think. Thereā€™s something going on that isnā€™t in the news because every week there is low stock in Sainsburyā€™s too. Eventually it will be like living in Cuba. The type of food on offer is changing too. I donā€™t remember ever seeing greengages in the supermarket for example. Itā€™s fascinating watching the evolution of shops managing our expectations. We may end up with just empty boxes showing us how the products used to look.

Aldi seems to have made a good living out of having a choice of only one. I seem to remember reading that this was the reason why the two major supermarkets were not worried by the competition from Aldi.

Yeahā€¦begins with B :thinking:

1 Like

Hi

Supply chain problems, everyone is cutting down their supply chains and trying to reduce transport costs.

1 Like

This would be at home in the ā€˜What do we take for grantedā€™ threadā€¦
The amount of choice and variety that we take for granted at the supermarket.
As a boy in the fifties and sixties the local newsagent would have a small counter with a selection of chocolate bars - Mars Bars, Milky Way, Crunchie, Kit Kat, to name but a few. there would be a couple of boxes of crisps, perhaps plain, cheese and onion and salt and vinegarā€¦Plus a rack with a selection of newspapers and magazines.

All of this in a small high street shop. Since then there has been an explosion of different brands and flavours. In our local Tesco the crisps take up an isle on their own, as does the confectionary. Biscuits also occupy their own isle, and take up more space in several locations around the store.

I think itā€™s brilliant that some lines are being discontinued, and after using some ā€˜own brandā€™ items, I have found the quality to be as good if not better in some cases. When you think about it :thinking:
Tesco donā€™t produce their own biscuits, or build a factory to produce soup, they are being supplied by the people who already supplied them with their ā€˜named brandsā€™ā€¦

When I worked in engineering producing high quality diamond tooling the last operation I did was to engrave the tools with the specification of the product and name of our company.
I was proud to work for such an esteemed company and to put their name to the finished product, so I was dismayed one day to find that a different name was to be engraved on my work. I approached the big cheese and queeried the changeā€¦

He said that the customer had expressly asked for the name of his company to appear on the productā€¦And he continued to say that if the customer wanted pink elephants and yellow spots on the product we would obligeā€¦So who knows who produces your soup and biscuitsā€¦
:sunglasses:

1 Like

I grumbled away to the checkout girl about it not so long ago. She told me they are out of stuff because they donā€™t have enough and canā€™t get lorry drivers.

2 Likes

Maybe its no bad thing to have to rely on a narrower range of products?

1 Like

I also asked a member of staff why it is that I canā€™t get my Beef Berginouā€¦Beef Berginyonā€¦A homepride sauce for my Beefā€¦She just shook her head and said ā€œDunno, thatā€™s all they send usā€ā€¦Very helpful! not!
:open_mouth:
I shall compose a strongly worded letter to the CEOā€¦
:sunglasses:

1 Like

I didnā€™t know if what she said was correct but I did remember a while back there was a shortage of heavy goods drivers when the foreign drivers had to leave here because of Brexit.

2 Likes

Probably right Rox, but I think itā€™s daft shipping things in from the other side of the world when our businesses are struggling here. No wonder the economy is in the state that its in. This morning I again purchased my weekly supply of applesā€¦Braeburnā€¦From New Zealand? Have we got rid of all the local orchards? And isnā€™t this ā€˜Apple seasonā€™ in blighty right now? Iā€™d be prepared to choose a locally produced apple if Tesco would supply one.

1 Like

It started for me with dog food, The Hairy One has a really dicky tummy and needs stuff that doesnā€™t upset him. When I was almost out of his foods and panicking I turned to Ebay but had to buy it in bulk. No worries I did that, then the same thing happened with my preferred kitchen rolls, shampoo, and other bits n pieces. Again I got what I needed online. All the less for Tescoā€™s profits and more at a cheaper price for me.

1 Like

Itā€™s a bigger problem when medicines are similarly affected.

2 Likes

Oh donā€™t start me off on my pet gripeā€¦

1 Like