Ten Thousand More Deaths Could Be Blamed On Lockdown

The effects of lockdown could be causing more deaths than Covid.
Since June, there have been nearly 10,000 more deaths recorded, none of which have been linked to the virus. This is more than the five year average.

Are we doomed, or is this just the Daily Mail making sensational headlines?

1 Like

Whether weā€™d had Lockdown or not, the Covid pandemic would have severely hampered the diagnosis and treatment of other illnesses whilst the hospitals were battling with Covid admissions and medical staff were off sick after getting infected with Covid, so perhaps itā€™s more accurate to say the increased deaths may be an indirect result of the Covid Pandemic, instead of blaming it all on the Lockdown.

Also, has the analysis taken into account all the extra stress on people in the last couple of years?
The extra anxieties and stresses will have contributed to ill health.
Not just the stress of worrying about the Covid pandemic but also the day-to-day stress of the rising cost of living, particularly energy costs, worrying about making ends meet - plus recent unusually high temperatures this Summer has been an added stress to folk who are already ill.

I only have to watch the current news to feel my anxiety levels increase and my heart beat faster.

2 Likes

In all honesty, I donā€™t see the purpose nor value in the report.

1 Like

This is a very black and white.
Possibly unhelpful report .

As theres no way of knowing how many covid deaths would of occurred without a lockdown.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not surprising. Lockdowns are not natural and sitting in the house all day is bad for anyone young or old. Care went downhill during lockdowns because you were not able to easily access medical services. I was terrified in case I had an emergency because everything was so restricted. A friendā€™s partner had a dental infection which they had to desperately contact multiple agencies to have treated as an emergency. Cancer services went downhill as chemo had to be put on hold.

Itā€™s all part of the effects of a pandemic. The same happened during Spanish Flu.

I wondered if any of you have read the comments after the article?

Most are blaming the Covid vaccination for the deathsā€¦ Oh and Brexit too!!

2 Likes

Hi

Not really a problem for us men, we are used to surviving the most dangerous and painful infection in the world.

Yes, Manflu :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Personally, I blame the excess deaths on BJ and his self-seeking, corrupt, incompetent government.

The DMā€™s article fails to provide a link to ā€œthe Office for National Statisticsā€™ figures for excess deaths in the UKā€.

3 Likes

Im considering myself very lucky I started having horrible symptoms jut as first lock down started it was two years and complete breakdown in the reception of our surgery that I was finally able to get an appointment. From there I was rushed through the system and Im post op radical hysterectomy and on chemo. Im told if id been seen early on when I first asked fo see my GP the cancer wouldnt have spread as it has but Im lucky as a friend of mine when she got to the GP it was too late and and she died just three weeks later. I dont blame covid I blame the reaction to it when all along it was more survivorable than cancer.

4 Likes

Twister, I am really pleased that you got through your terrible time. It must have been a terrific shock and worry for you.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you are keeping well.

1 Like

Thank you when the chemo stops Im sure Ill feel better although even the nausea is better than the horrible symptoms I had the last couple of years.

1 Like

Hi

Welcome and good luck you will get a lot of support here, bye and large a lovely bunch of people

1 Like

Thank you

Welcome twister. Thatā€™s one heck of an experience. Glad you seem to be on the road to recoveryā€¦hope springs eternal, eh?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Twisterā€¦ :039:
I am glad to hear that you are now getting the help and treatment that you need.
Although I have never had chemo myself I have seen first hand the pain and complications it can cause when one of our very best friends developed breast cancer a few years ago.
Although clear of cancer now, she has to still make endless visits to the hospital for blood tests and heart, liver and kidney function tests made more serious by her being diabetic.

We all marvel at the progress medical science has achieved over the last fifty years or so. Even I have benefitted from this progress by being treated with the latest innovations for a heart problem that would have probably killed me just twenty years ago.

However, I suspect we have built a proverbial ā€˜house of cardsā€™ with all this progress, not just in medical advancement but society as a whole, where a ā€˜leaves on the lineā€™ situation can, and will occur more often due to the very precarious balance of technology we all rely upon for a smooth running world.

Covid produced many deaths, and the reaction to it has, and will, produce many more. Although my sympathies go out to everyone who has lost a friend, family member, or loved one, it was still just an unexpected ā€˜Leaves on the lineā€™ moment. And as this world gets more complex by the day, we should expect many more in the future.

2 Likes