Teenager avoids getting stuck in jail over £30,000 Wrigley's chewing gum heist

• Interesting way to pay off debts!

Nicking stuff from the back of parked trucks is big, big business Pixie. Any truck with a curtain-sided trailer is a sitting duck when it comes to an attack by these bandits. You only have to watch a couple of Motorway Cop-type TV programmes to see this is an almost nightly occurrence.

1 Like

A curtain sided trailer…is that the soft ones which roll up? They need to change the design then if they are that easy to steal from. Also do they have cameras at the back?

A curtain-sider has sides that fold back along tracks - just like your curtains at home do. I don’t recall ever seeing one that rolls up. Don’t know about cameras in the back but, other than providing ID of any thieves, I suspect they wouldn’t be much of a deterrent - perhaps an alarm system would be better.

1 Like

Possibly an alarm system would be better, but imagine being fast alseep in the cabin, and a shrieking alarm goes off! :scream: You would catapult out of the window in fright! Plus…a female truck driver against 2 or 3 guys…who could be armed?

Trucks up here have side loading, and the side panel is like a tarp, which rolls up or down. Its for smaller vehicles, admittedly but still…

1 Like

I am amazed they don’t already have an alarm, Percy.
Yes, it probably would make the driver jump, but it would also protect the cargo he is delivering.
If thieves got away with this, is the driver held responsible for kipping on duty, I wonder?

1 Like

Here’s a picky of a curtain-sider. Damned easy to cut with a sharp knife.

1 Like

I think it’s compulsory that drivers take proper rest breaks, (and its logged on a…a…thing/app/meter) so if it was during that time, they wouldn’t be liable (I don’t think?)

Oh yes Pixie. I forgot about their rest breaks, and Thing-o-meters. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I think they are called a tachograph.
A bit of a sticky situation for those numptys.

They save so much time as the whole trailer is accessible to a forklift. A design change would probably cost more in the long term than the amount lost to theft.

1 Like