Tearful Adele postpones entire Las Vegas residency

Adele has postponed her entire Las Vegas residency, just 24 hours before the opening night.

“I’m so sorry, but my show ain’t ready,” the star told fans in a tearful update on Instagram. “Half my team have Covid and it’s been impossible to finish the show,” she said, adding that “delivery delays” had also played havoc with her plans.

She was due to play the first of 24 planned shows at the Caesars Palace’s Colosseum on Friday, 21 January. Announced late in November, the Weekends With Adele series was scheduled to have the singer performing two shows every weekend until April. Tickets ranged from $85 (£60) to $685 (£500), and Adele was forecast to make more than £500,000 per show.

They would have been her first live concerts in five years. Along with two dates in London’s Hyde Park this summer, they are the only shows she has announced to promote her blockbuster fourth album, 30.

Speaking on Instagram, Adele said she had been “awake for 30 hours” trying to rescue the production, but she had simply “run out of time”. “It’s been impossible to finish the show,” she added. “I can’t give you what I have right now and I’m gutted.”

Adele also apologised to fans who had already arrived to Las Vegas for the opening weekend. "I’m sorry, it’s last minute. I’m so upset and I’m really embarrassed and I’m so sorry to everyone that’s travelled again. " She added: “We’re going to reschedule all the dates, we’re on it right now. And I’m going to finish my show. I want to to get it to where it’s supposed to be [but] We’ve been up against so much and it just ain’t ready.”

Many fans have been supportive on social media - saying it was the right decision and wishing her and her team well. But some are facing losing hundreds of pounds from flight and hotel bookings.

Gillian Rowland-Kain, 32, was already on her flight to Las Vegas from New York for Friday’s opening night show when she found out about the cancellation via social media.

“I was furious that Adele waited so last minute to make this call,” she said. “I recognise it’s not a call any artist wants to make but she would’ve known yesterday that the show wouldn’t be ready by tomorrow. Her lack of notice is astounding. I’m angry and frustrated.”

Josh Chavis, from Kansas City, says his wife Heather paid nearly $1,800 USD (£1,300) for her hotel and flights to Vegas for a show this weekend. Mr Chavis told the BBC that she was disappointed - and even Adele announcing it a few days sooner “would have made all the difference” in terms of refunds. “We recognize that things are hard for everyone, but this is a huge misstep on the part of both the performer and those responsible for putting the show together.”

While Adele has apparently been beset by production problems and illness within her crew, other Vegas shows have been running as normal. Three weeks ago, Katy Perry smoothly rolled out her own residency on the strip, to largely positive reviews.

That’s an appalling decision … :scream:

Since it’s a residency, most fans will have paid to travel hundreds (even thousands) of miles to see Adele - not all will get full refunds due to the tardiness of Adele’s call.

As for her reasons, the situation must have been clear days, even weeks ago, so why was it not managed? Surely Adele is the only non-expendable resource and everybody and everything else can be replaced?

This is a massive cock-up involving millions of dollars - surely the show should have gone on?

1 Like

images (1)

5 Likes

If yer show ain’t ready yer show ain’t ready. :102:

adel who?

3 Likes

What is there to plan?
Just stand up and sing, they do it all the time at my local pub.

2 Likes

Cain’s brother?

1 Like

Sorry - can’t help - never heard of her - and don’t think I want to either!

Just saw that on the news. Poor Adele, I do like her, don’t like many female singers but she is one of the best.
I love this…

1 Like

Is she the one who did a James Bond theme tune that includes a rather good howling Wolf impersonation?

That’s the one Gee…
:disappointed:

1 Like

The tortured diva made an astonishing appearance on Instagram this week, sobbing her heart out as she announced her much-anticipated 24-night residency in Las Vegas was not happening.

I don’t know which was more jaw-dropping; Snivelling Adele’s feeble attempts at an apology to the camera with perfect nails on display, addressing us ordinary folk as if we were queuing for a bag of fish and chips (her actual words ‘My show ain’t ready’) - or the bare-faced cheek of coming to that decision just two days before kick-off.

But somehow this carefully stage-managed attempt at sympathy doesn’t seem believable. Anyone might think she’s been studying footage of the Master of Non Apologies Boris Johnson.

Ms Adkins might come from a working-class background (and has carefully retaining her ‘credible’ accent), but has spent the years since finessing her performances, rebranding herself as a glamorous icon and is now a far cry from that cheeky Londoner teenager in jogging pants.

Buckets of tears won’t repay the hundreds of thousands of dollars fans have already spent on air tickets and hotel bookings, travelling from all over the world for a ‘Weekend with Adele’.

Many only found out the news as they landed in the USA. They have had honeymoons, birthdays and holiday plans completely ruined and are using social media to vent their rage and frustration.

Some have wondered why Adele can’t do a simpler show on a basic stage - wearing one of the frocks she’s trotted out at those star-studding gigs promoting her fourth Album last year. One fan said she would be happy if Adele sang from a park bench. Fat chance of that.

In Adele’s world, everything has been getting bigger, brasher, more inflated and pompous - a bit like her hair.

Adele seems beset by fears and anxieties that others might not find so threatening. She told the world she was ‘devastated’ by her divorce, even though husband Simon lives on the other side of the street from her in Los Angeles and they have remained friends.

In November last year, she granted Oprah an interview to promote her album 30 which mined the trauma of a failing marriage. She gushed her thanks to the host for allowing her to ‘tell my truth lovingly in a safe space’. What is this rubbish about ‘safe spaces’?

She’s been on a journey from wealthy woman to incredibly rich and self-obsessed global star. That doesn’t grant you the right to treat fans so appallingly, hoping that a snivelling apology will soften the blow.

Adele took four years to reschedule two shows she cancelled in 2017.

JSP sees the light … :+1:

Personally, I’ve never liked Adele and her “music” has done nothing to change my mind. This article from 2016 summed up my attitude (more or less) to Adele at that stage in her “career”:

Atlantic. Her single ‘Hello’ was downloaded a million times in a week and was the most-streamed song in Spotify’s history. Last week, despite her meltdown at the Grammys, she swept up at the Brits.

Which is stupendous news, if you, like everyone else, love Adele. But I don’t. I can’t. I won’t. I simply hate her. Or, rather, not her. But it – her music. When Coldplay was played this ubiquitously, at least no one ever admitted to being complicit. But Adele’s oeuvre, which is, if possible, even less inventive, is adored openly and by all.

2 Likes

I had to laugh, it appears there is only one person who knows who Tearful Adele is and even less who care about her show in the USA.

1 Like

Well, not everyone lives in the 21st Century … :037:

Half her team got covid. I’m sure that was not predicted and not able to be predicted weeks ago. Omicron surged in the US more recently.

Even if she was able to replace her team, would she be risking the new team would get covid also?

And if she pushed the show forward, would she have risked a massive outbreak by having that many people in the same space with people who had covid just recently there?

I’m sure that a lot of factors went into the decision. The millions of dollars may have factored in, but people’s health and well-being was hopefully factored in as well.

1 Like

Some interesting possibilities explored here:

The staging

From the start of this year, rumblings had begun to circulate in Vegas. Specifically, it was said that Adele wasn’t keen on any spectacular staging. She wanted it to be ‘all about the voice’. Perhaps it was a sign of building anxiety.

For despite this, the show was to be filled with production effects and dozens of musicians and singers. A choir of 60 singers was auditioned in early January and contracted to participate in a Skyfall opening number.

Ticket sales

Gossip columnist Roger Friedman was convinced something was awry by January 18. For although the shows sold out instantly online during the pre-sales period and many tickets have since been sold again at inflated prices, Friedman noted there were still hundreds of tickets available on a resale website at around £400 each, and prices were said to be dropping.

Yesterday he wrote: ‘The whole Adele Vegas residency is a disaster. But ‘We ain’t ready’ at the last minute doesn’t hold water. This isn’t the Rolling Stones stage show. Adele live is her, an orchestra and some lighting. She’s not sailing across the theatre in a hook-up, there are no pyrotechnics. Plus, let’s face it… this is only two shows per weekend. If the show wasn’t ready, it could be postponed a couple of weeks, and the missed shows could have been rescheduled at the end of the run. But they’ve scrapped the whole thing… so it’s not just a matter of not being ready… doesn’t make sense.’

Stage fright

While there is no doubt that Covid has caused issues, there is bound to be speculation about whether her concerns over performing live were an additional factor in the decision. She has made no secret of the fact that she hates touring and suffers from crippling stage fright.

She told one TV interviewer that live performances have her searching for the door: ‘I’m scared of audiences. One show in Amsterdam, I was so nervous I escaped out the fire exit. I’ve thrown up a couple of times. Once in Brussels, I projectile vomited on someone. I just gotta bear it. But I don’t like touring. I have anxiety attacks a lot.’

Her voice

Choir master Gareth Malone insists that Adele’s vocal technique makes her unsuited for singing on stage. He said: ‘The way she sings is just very bad for the voice. She lets in too much air which irritates the throat and the vocal cords and she pushes her voice with too much force. It gives it emotion but it’s a style of singing that can only work in a recording studio. If you go out and try and perform like that on a tour then you are going to end up in trouble.’

Too scrap a whole Las Vegas residency is something that, I’m sure that no other “star” would ever do - there is professional pride and there are cancellation clauses to consider.

Perhaps Adele just “bottled” it because preparations weren’t going her way … :scream_cat:

Maybe Las Vegas is a step too far for the ambitious Adele … :man_shrugging:

1 Like

According to the CEO of a music venue, there have been many live performances canceled at the last minute due to covid, some as late as 10 minutes prior.

Cancelling and re-scheduling a show or two is commonplace in the entertainment business but cancelling a whole 3-month pre-booked residency … :017:

How many stars had a pre-booked residency during the height of covid with the staff becoming ill?

I think it’s pretty uncommon. If there aren’t many (or any other) people doing a pre-booked residency during covid, it follows that there wouldn’t be many cancellations of something that rarely happens.

(1) I don’t know - how many?

In the same time frame? 2 (two). And they haven’t started yet.