Tea dunking test finds Hobnob-style does the perfect job

Oat biscuits are best for dunking in your breakfast brew, a study has revealed.

You may think they are taking the biscuit but scientists in Cardiff tested the Hobnob-style, digestive, shortie and rich tea in a biscuit comparative study. After a two-second dunk, the oat biscuit came out on top, lasting 29 seconds before a soggy splash down. It smashed its competitors with the rich tea breaking after two seconds.

The shortie was the runner-up, lasting an average of 17.5 seconds, and the digestive took bronze remaining intact for about 8.5 seconds.

Despite this, scientists found digestives retained more of their crunch than the other morning treats and sped up how quickly a tea cools to a drinkable temperature of 61C (142F).

I’ll dunk anything but McVitie’s Digestive Biscuits are still my favourites:

:yum:

2 Likes

I vaguely remember Patrick Cargill dunking Rich Butter Osbournes in an advert many moons ago.
All very suave, paisley dressing gown and cravat.
None of yer Hobnobs :018:

1 Like

There is nothing wrong on the planet when we can spend time discussing…seriously…which is the best dunking biscuits :rofl: Ginger Nuts (why did Prince Harry pop into my mind then?) from Asda (purveyors of gourmet foods and lagers to Vlad Villas since 1984) are great.

3 Likes

Oh Vlad,you have put me right off ginger nuts,but to drown one in tea still sounds good,even if it is of the biscuit variety.
Hobnobs for me,they share your cuppa with you.,especially choco ones.

2 Likes

I’m not even fussed about biscuits, I can take them or leave them, but even I agree Hobnobs are the best for dunking

Or a custard cream. But that takes dunking skills or they break up and drop in your trea and the cream dissolves

The only real hobnob is a chocolate hobnob.

My second name is Half Man Half Biscuit and it’s all thanks to McVitie’s Digestives.

I used to live approx 200 yards from the McVitie biscuit factory in Levenshulme, Manchester. I was told by some employees that Hobnobs started out by being made from crushed remnants from other types. No idea if it was true, or whether they were pulling my plonker, but I can see how it’d make sense.

At least they weren’t dunking your plonker!!!

2 Likes

Well, there was one…:wink::grin:

1 Like

This time of the year a nice shortbread biscuit dunked into my mid-morning coffee is a must. Due to the thickness of the shortbread it soaks up a decent amount of the coffee without crumbling up.

1 Like

I’m going to try that.
It’ll have to be with strong freshly steeped coffee and brown sugar. No mellow birds thank you very much :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oi! I liked Mellow Birds back in the day…also that foul coffee & chicory on occasion as well. Now its regular coffee, but I don’t dunk with coffee…I only dunk with Tea. Bizarrely, I dunk Coffee buns in my tea, nothing else.

1 Like

Well I’m glad you’ve got that off your chest! :wink:

1 Like

Yes, me too. I can go about my day feeling so much better now :joy:

heads to kitchen to put the kettle on

1 Like

Does anyone on here dunk into a drink which has developed a skin layer of milk? A friend of mine does, and it reminds me of scenes from birthing animals on All Creatures Great and Small. Licking and chewing off the amniotic sac.

Enjoy that mental picture. :wink::grin:

When milk is boiled, milk proteins such as ‘beta-lactoglobulin‘ and ‘casein‘ are denatured and get coagulated with the milk’s fat.This forms a skin on the surface,which then gets dried by evaporation.
This is actually a sticky film of protein which is also called as ‘lactoderm‘.

1 Like

I shall resist the temptation of posting a piccie/video of an animal doing what it does. :grin::wink:

Very similar though.

I’m pleased to be agreeing with Vlad here. The otherwise inedible ginger nut (look, my teeth ain’t what they used to be) are made delightful with dunking. The ginger flavour works well with the PG Tips (other brands are apparently available but not for me) brew (minimum 3 minutes on the stew, better with 4 or 5). Hobnobs? No, no, no. Oats are for porridge.

2 Likes