Tarantula found on London train

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-59974159

Passengers on a train at London Bridge station found a pink-toed tarantula in their carriage.

The 3.5cm (1.4in) hairy spider was discovered in a plastic box and is thought to have been an abandoned pet, the RSPCA said.

It was taken to station staff who contacted the animal charity for help.

Pink-toed tarantulas have large fangs and are venomous but not extremely toxic, with a bite likely to cause swelling similar to a wasp sting.

London animal rescue officer Mat Hawkins collected the creature on Friday afternoon before taking it to South Essex Wildlife Hospital, from where it will be rehomed.

Also known as Antilles tree spiders, pink-toed tarantulas are said to be shy and docile creatures.

They are thought to make good first-time tarantula pets, but do need special equipment to keep them in a warm and humid environment as they are native to Central and South America and islands in the Southern Caribbean.

Their name is derived from the tips of their legs which are peach in colour, helping them blend into their forest habitat.

Anyone with information about who abandoned the tarantula has been asked to contact the RSPCA.

Poor thing.

The news stry does not use the scientific name & there are LOTS of pink toed tarantulas. I have at least three species. But an Antilles tree spider. is a Caribena versicolor & the generally used common name is versicolor.

If this T was found in a plastic container, then it was possibly just being transported somewhere & possibly home after it had been brought.

The following is an image I found online of a versicolor. Mine is always in it’s web. These a prolific webbers & both their colour & their webs are beautiful.

I just hope whoever is looking after this little one, knows what they are doing as these can die rather quickly if not kept in a well ventilated enclosure with good air circulation being the key to keeping them healthy.

Also, they are well known for thier willingness to jump, so despite the image below, they are not suited to handling.

2 Likes

How lovely!

1 Like

As much as I dislike spiders, i do hope this one has simply been misplaced, and not just abandoned. Also @Gee3 I am fascinated with the way you say your T is always in its web…do you have a photo of it…I’d like to see a colourful web (I think!)

I have a Linothele sericata, (Columbian Funnel Web.) It’s webbing is amazing. It is from a group called Primitive spiders. Which means it is an early species of spider & that it has a slightly different form of book lung to true spiders.

I can get a photo. But the web is just white. Many of our T’s are prolific webbers & some of the webs are amazing.

2 Likes

Oh ok…also, can you explain to me what a book lung is?

No, wait…I just googled it.

Yeah, kind of wish I hadn’t now, but its interesting anyway :smiley: :spider:

1 Like

My versi ( Caribena versicolor .) It is a juvenile, having a leg span of around 2-2.5 inches & still has lots of growing to do.
versi1

This is some ground webbing from a Selenocosmia crassipes, or Australian Whistling or Barking spider.

And this tarantula is from Thiland & known as a Edible spider. Or nasty f—er as my wife calls it.

2 Likes

They all look so different don’t they? Very interesting! :+1:

@Gee3 - thank you for the photos - I love spiders!

1 Like

I have one in the bath I can let you have :slight_smile:

2 Likes

eeeeek!

1 Like

what’s not to love? :smiley:

2 Likes

thank you Muddy for a much needed laugh.

‘Pink toed’ Sounds almost cute…almost!

1 Like