Tap aerator size question

The best way of determining the size of your aerator is to find out what thread is used @Pesta (whitworth fine, BSF, GAS, UNF, Metric) but without a set of thread gauges and an inside vernier we might be getting a tad complicated.
I’ve also been looking for some aerators for the bathroom sink taps (bear in mind I’m an engineer and should know this stuff) so I was delighted to find a pair in B&Q the other day. So I purchased a pair for six quid… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

They didn’t fit when I got home and couldn’t be arsed to take them back…
:roll_eyes:
Six quid down the drain…
:crazy_face:

@OldGreyFox , Hi Foxy, l think you will find that most lmperial
size threads are not used at all now ?
And a good job too imo! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Most threads now are 90% metric sizes? This cuts out having to
keep hundreds of different taps and dies!!
I think you will still find BSP on odd occasions though ??
Donkeyman! :+1::roll_eyes::+1:

BSP is still used for all male & female threads on plumbing fittings as well as gas :+1:

2 Likes

OK my turn to be thick. Why do you want to aeriate tap water? spending money on one when all you need to do is pour water from one cup into another through a sieve, does the same job doesn’t it?

Simples

Most taps/mixers now come with an aerator already incorporated, so when they go tits up, they have to be replaced or the tap misfires and splashes.

1 Like

@LongDriver , l’m not so sure if that is so on the continent LD ??
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

We are not talking about the ruddy continent Donks!

1 Like

I was always led to believe these aerators, were fitted to Taps to stop the water splashing about.

Anyone recall the rubber tube that slipped over the tap nozzle, it created an even flow, plus you could alter the water flow direction, by simple pointing/bending it.

2 Likes

Yes, definitely. Before the days of the mixer when most kitchens had bib taps screwed into a buried wall boss or a backplate elbow.

1 Like

@LongDriver , Ha! Ha! Oh yes we are, remember when UK
went metric ??
And we still are metric despite the rumour that we have have
left the EU !! :thinking::thinking:
Donkeyman! :frowning::frowning:

1 Like

Donkeyman, when a tradesman sees a woman coming through the door of whatever place they own - they see us as potential ‘victims’ to try and sell a full replacement when in reality the original only needs something minor to get it back to full working order. Tis just one of the joys of being female :roll_eyes:.

Yes I agree about China and the crap :grinning:

Quite right Marciniak

The problem was they were all male threaded, and I wanted female… the same with all the other plumbers merchants I looked at. :roll_eyes:

Ooops…

If you take them back Foxy, you could send me the £6 if you like - especially now fags have gone up… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Oh yes, I remember those :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, the update is…

I’m sorted now. I went to the plumbers merchants I had earmarked and I bought two for £9.
So, if after 8yrs this one breaks down (which is as long as the other took), I will have a replacement to hand. :partying_face:

1 Like

@marciniak , then buy the whole spout thingy, you can get them in
Long and short too ??
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

A £6 postal order is on it’s way Pesta… :sunglasses:
(can you still get 'Postal orders?)

1 Like

would it be the same for this type?

male or female
I’d say male because of the shape… :grinning:.

2 Likes

Dunno Foxy… probably not :grinning:

You bad, rude, girl. You’ve made me blush :wink:

Funny that :joy: