Suspended Tory MP Scott Benton faces vote whether to trigger a recall petition

Mr Benton had the Tory whip withdrawn earlier this year and sits as an independent.

In a meeting with newspaper reporters posing as gambling industry investors, he was caught offering to lobby ministers and table parliamentary questions.

Mr Benton currently has a majority of 3,690, making his seat a top general election target for the Labour Party.

The Conservatives are already facing a potential by-election in Wellingborough next year, after the suspension of former Tory MP Peter Bone over bullying and sexual misconduct allegations.

A report by the Commons Standards Committee said Mr Benton had given the message “he was corrupt and ‘for sale’ and that so were many other Members of the House”. It said he “communicated a toxic message about standards in Parliament” and his comments “unjustifiably tarnish the reputation of all MPs”.

In a letter to the committee, Mr Benton said: “I do not consider my actions to be a breach of the rules: it is my view that I complied with the letter and the spirit of the rules.” (1)

Well, he would say that wouldn’t he - it’s the Tory Party “party” defence 
 :roll_eyes:

Hi

The Petition needs to be started, then a forced By Election.

1 Like

Another day another Tory sleazebag. No one is surprised any more.

2 Likes

MPs will now vote whether to trigger a recall petition which could see the government facing a by-election.

Mr Benton was caught breaching Commons rules by offering to lobby ministers and table parliamentary questions on behalf of gambling investors.

Trigger that recall 
 :+1:

There isn’t nearly as much outrage at the prospect of him being an MP as there is about Azhar Ali, is there?

Getting rid of the bad eggs really needs to be made easier

1 Like

(?) Scott Benton is the MP for Blackpool South