Surely, There Must Be An Easier Way To Put Eye Drops In Your Eyes?

I am having to put eye drops in my eyes, six times a day. The thing is, it’s such a hit and miss operation!
If you hold your head backwards, you tend to hover the bottle over your eye to get the best shot but still miss! Or, you squeeze the bottle hard and no drops comes out at all!!
If you pull your bottom eyelid down and try to insert them, most comes out, or you miss completely!

Surely, there must be a successful way of inserting the drops? Years ago, there was a thing that you placed over your eye to make the task easier.

Do you have to put eyedrops in your eyes? How do you get on, inserting them?

I have been putting eyedrops in Mr Mags eyes for 5+ years now as he has Glaucoma. He is unable to put then in himself as his eyes are very sensitive.

I get him to put his head back, I gently pull down the lower lid, squeeze the bottle and it’s done!

I think I could do it with my eyes closed now! :grinning:

1 Like

We were given a prescription for eye drops from our last visit to our so nice, mini skirted, Greek laughing happy so fun, ophthalmologist just a few weeks ago…

They are individual little sachets, and you take off the end tip to just then squeeze and drip them in your eye…if they go high they still benefit your eyes if they go low then completely wasted…so yes can be hit and miss…

But overall if you have what they call dry eyes they do help a lot…

1 Like

Mags, If l bought you lots of Magnums, could you pop round to my house six times a day and put my eyedrops in for me?!! :laughing:

1 Like

Just say the word, Art … I’ll be there in a flash! :laughing:

1 Like

Dianne, l went to see an eye consultant about a month ago and she prescribed these new drops and some waxy type stuff l have to put in at night. My eyes are the best, they’ve been for 18 months.
The lockdown didn’t help as different doctors just prescribed eye stuff over the phone. Some were prescribing drops with preservatives in them and they really made my eyes worse.

I requested, that l saw an eye consultant as l felt my eyes were getting worse. I got the appointment within a month. The consultant was so lovely and caring.

I have had the tiny phial things with the snap off top.

1 Like

Yeah… l believe you!! Ha!

1 Like

This is how I do it Art.

I lie flat on my back, close my eyes & put the dropper tip in the middle of my closed eyelid.
Then I open my eye, squeeze & in goes the drops.

I use dry eye drops & this is how I do it every night after I’ve got in bed. No mirror needed.

1 Like

Get a bucket of the stuff, put your whole head in and blink, guaranteed results.

1 Like

Carol, lt stated on one of my eye medications not to let the nozzle touch your eyes.
These new drops l am using are brilliant but the night waxy stuff make my eyes bleary! I have trouble doing my crosswords!

I blame being on my iPad for causing my eye trouble.

Do you only use the eye drops at night?

Bruce, That is so funny but wouldn’t l drown? :laughing:

Yes it says that on mine too but this is the way I’ve been doing it for years & it’s never done me any harm.

I use them mostly at night but sometimes daytime too.

1 Like

I am also currently on the eye drop regime - 2 drops 4 x daily. I just lean back and drop them in - no problem. It gives the cats something to laugh at anyway! :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

1 Like

One time many years ago now I had to use eye drops, the problem I had then was a damaged neck preventing me tipping my head back enough to administer the drops. The answer was to lie down so my head was over the edge of either the settee or the bed, that allowed the drops to use gravity to go into the eye.

The instructions on this link may be of help to you, they are from a reputable NHS eye hospital.
One part of this, to use the bridge of your nose to support a direct dose into the eye may help:

:grinning:

1 Like

Thank You, Baz.

@Baz46 - that is a very useful link - thank you Baz.

1 Like

:023: That’s OK, you are both very welcome, hope it’s of use.
:grinning:

2 Likes

I do same as Mags.
Tilt head back a little, gently pull lower eye lid down and squeeze a drop in, then repeat for other eye. Takes about 2 seconds each eye, its that quick and easy.
At night i have a tube of ointment to squirt a tiny bit in, and yes it does blur vision a little, but only for a minute or so.
If it blurs for longer, you are probably using too much ointment.

Also, be careful not to let the nozzles touch the eye, as apart from it could do damage, it can also contaminate the nozzle.

1 Like